Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Hogs and A Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Hodie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Hogs and A Trailer

I'm considering buying a utility trailer to haul a softail standard and heritage to Surgis. Does anyone have any suggestions as too what size trailer would be needed to haul these 2 bikes comfortably. Also does anyone have any recommendations about wheel chokes and tie downs that can be installed on utility trailers?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad has a 6 x 12 i believe it is utility trailer that easily hauls two bikes. We actually just did some work on it building a wind stone guard on the front and sides to protect the bikes from road debrie during winter hauling like to bike week.

As for chokes and tie downs. Good rachet straps and any good wheel choke will work.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't they run?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Don't they run?
Not everyone is capable of riding out there due to many factors! Did you ever think alot of folks DON'T have the time to nor maybe they have back issue's that may prevent them for being on their scoots for a long period of time?

Maybe instead of being a smart azz take the time to find out why he is looking to trailering instead of jumping to conclusions!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone got up on the wrong side this morning!

I think Safetyman was just have a little humor.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by patriotmc
Someone got up on the wrong side this morning!

I think Safetyman was just have a little humor.
Not really, just sick and tired of guys who break balz about folks who trailer w/o knowing the situations.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
Not everyone is capable of riding out there due to many factors! Did you ever think alot of folks DON'T have the time to nor maybe they have back issue's that may prevent them for being on their scoots for a long period of time?

Maybe instead of being a smart azz take the time to find out why he is looking to trailering instead of jumping to conclusions!
I saw thousands of people with "back issues" on the way to sturgis. There were often three or four "back issues" in the trailer hauling cage that didn't even show respect to the Riders they were hogging lanes on.

Back issues my azz.

The funny part is, if they had even tried to ride, they'd have found out that it's really not that hard to do! (and much more fun too!).

"Back issues" = "Scared to try"

Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I saw thousands of people with "back issues" on the way to sturgis. There were often three or four "back issues" in the trailer hauling cage that didn't even show respect to the Riders they were hogging lanes on.

Back issues my azz.

The funny part is, if they had even tried to ride, they'd have found out that it's really not that hard to do! (and much more fun too!).

"Back issues" = "Scared to try"
Here we go with another stupid comment!

Let me tell you, I don't wish back problems on anyone! There are some who have problems such as myself who after a couple of hours riding they tend to have issue's with numbness in the legs(such as me due to fused disc) also some may have other problems due to injuries or the likes of.

So like I said, not everyone has the ability due to health, or time constraints.

When I was younger hell yea, could ride for hours on end without any issue's but now it's different.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enough with the pizzing match! Back to the issue.

Before you choose a trailer you must first decide what you are going to be pulling it with. Do you have a pickup? If so is it a mini, 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton? You can easily get more trailer than your tow vehicle will handle and this is a MAJOR problem.

I have a 16' enclosed trailer. It will carry 3,500# of cargo. It was too heavy for my 1/2 ton and I had to trade vehicles. The trailer with bikes in it would push me down hills way too much and it was not a safe ride. With a 1/2 ton pickup I would not go over a 12' trailer.

I suggest an enclosed trailer because of being able to keep the bikes clean while towing. I pulled an open trailer once, got caught in rain and snow and the bikes looked like they had been drug through a mud hole when I arrived. I'll never pull bikes on an open trailer again.

No matter what trailer you buy be sure it has trailer brakes to help you control the load on a downhill or sudden stop. Two bikes and a trailer will be in the neighborhood of 3400# or more additional weight that you have to control.

Another thing to consider is how many tie downs you want and how heavy the tie downs should be. I put three rows of heavy tie downs down the length of my trailer, one row on each side and one row down the middle. I placed the tie downs every four feet down the length of the trailer. When I say "heavy tie downs", I mean the type that has a metal plate under the floor of the trailer beneath each tie down. Tie downs that only screw to the wood floor are not really strong enough to secure a heavy bike.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kentuckydave
Enough with the pizzing match! Back to the issue.

Before you choose a trailer you must first decide what you are going to be pulling it with. Do you have a pickup? If so is it a mini, 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton? You can easily get more trailer than your tow vehicle will handle and this is a MAJOR problem.

I have a 16' enclosed trailer. It will carry 3,500# of cargo. It was too heavy for my 1/2 ton and I had to trade vehicles. The trailer with bikes in it would push me down hills way too much and it was not a safe ride. With a 1/2 ton pickup I would not go over a 12' trailer.

I suggest an enclosed trailer because of being able to keep the bikes clean while towing. I pulled an open trailer once, got caught in rain and snow and the bikes looked like they had been drug through a mud hole when I arrived. I'll never pull bikes on an open trailer again.

No matter what trailer you buy be sure it has trailer brakes to help you control the load on a downhill or sudden stop. Two bikes and a trailer will be in the neighborhood of 3400# or more additional weight that you have to control.

Another thing to consider is how many tie downs you want and how heavy the tie downs should be. I put three rows of heavy tie downs down the length of my trailer, one row on each side and one row down the middle. I placed the tie downs every four feet down the length of the trailer. When I say "heavy tie downs", I mean the type that has a metal plate under the floor of the trailer beneath each tie down. Tie downs that only screw to the wood floor are not really strong enough to secure a heavy bike.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Your right Dave. I apologize to the thread starter for keeping off topic.

I also have a 6x12 Haulmark enclosed trailer.

I disagree on your statement about 1/2 ton trucks towing over a 12' trailer though.

Having and currently owning 1/2ton trucks if your trailer is equipped with electric or hydraulic brakes that would help improve trailering tremendously!

I have towed trailers over 24ft with no issue's. But you do need to follow the manufactures recommendations as to limitations of it's towing capacities.

Especially that of the tongue weight specs.

That said if you look at trailers with 2 or more axles w/brakes they will not only handle better but also brake better resulting in a safer tow.

2 cents...

Quick Reply: 2 Hogs and A Trailer