Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Fatboy Wheel Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Texas Tim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Fatboy Wheel Question...

Hi... I just picked up a 1999 Fatboy that is already customized to a good point, and now I want to finish it "my way". It has been lowered, screamin eagle ignition, screamin eagle hi-flow air intake, cam, pistons, exhaust, custom paint, stretched tank, chrome everywhere, bars, braided cables... Like I said, it's about halfway there. I want to change out wheels from solids to laced wheels. I found a smokin deal on some 18x3.5 DNA's and I really want to use them. Does anyone know what size tires I can go with, wothout have to change swingarm, narrow belt kit, etc...? The stock tires are 130/90/16. I think the front and rear are the same on these... Please help

Thanks!
-tim

Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice to see some pics of that '99 (Evolution? I presume...)

Mine is a '99 Fat Boy too. The widest you can fit inside the rear stock fender w/o any mods is a 150mm. I have a Metzeler in there for my bike. Not DNA's but RWW's. 18" rear/21" front.

I used the stock 1.5" drive-belt (if you're getting a matching pulley)... No need for a narrower belt.

Mimo.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Texas Tim
Cruiser
Default fatboy wheels

I really hope I can fit a 150 Metzler in there! Your looks sweet and exactly what I want in the rear. I love your setup as well. It's got a mean look to it and very clean!

Here is a pic of mine... not the most recent though

How close is that tire to your belt?

Thanks!
-tim

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks brother. Your ride is looking as good as new, nice paint job and stretched tank.

When I ordered my wheels (tires included) Sam from RWWheels told me to put the 150 Metz on the rear. I argumented that back in 1999 HD claimed that in order to put the 150 in the rear I had to purchase the "wide tire kit" (bullchit!) consisting in narrower belt, pulley and tranny sprocket as well as new seals and belt cover.... Yeah right! After going back and fwd several times with Sam, I accepted the 150 metz, PERFECT fit, right out of the box, no extra spacers or anything else. The only reason for believing the MoCo about the wide tire kit is that Dunlops have a wider wall than Metz, but I doubt it 150mm should be the same thing disregarding the tire's manufacturer.

Post pics when you're done with your mods,

Mimo.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tex, you will also need to reverse the two fender support bolts on each side, otherwise they will protrude and grind the tire. Get shorter bolts with a pan head, or cap the originals off on the outside with acorn nuts. Pretty sure the 1999 is like the 2000.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dorkman
Tex, you will also need to reverse the two fender support bolts on each side, otherwise they will protrude and grind the tire. Get shorter bolts with a pan head, or cap the originals off on the outside with acorn nuts. Pretty sure the 1999 is like the 2000.
Nope they changed a lot, specially in the rear end of the bike.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Texas Tim
Cruiser
Default wheels

thanks for all of the input! another reason why i really dig this forum... lots of good input! Once, I get these wheels in and tires ordered... I'll post a pic...

Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Bikd 1
5th Gear
Thumbs up Fatboy Mods

hey guys, ive got a 98 Fat and looking to do some of the same mods. When you changed to the 21 front wheel, did you change forks or just spacers and fenders? Hows it look from the front, one guy said without going to a more narrow front, it wont look right. Looks like a heritage fender? Also, what kind of apes and how tall are they? Are they Carlini's?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Texas Tim
Cruiser
Default fatboy

Mimo could answer that more appropriately. I was considering going with a 21" up front, but I got a bargain on my 18's! From what I researched, you simply need to replace the fender, and maybe add the spacer to move it up a tad... I have a smoothed out Heritage fender that I am not going to use. Paint is in great shape (although i have no idea what paint scheme you have). I installed my wheels and tires over the weekend, and no narrow belt kit, wide tire kit, etc... was needed. I needed to change one axle spacer and that was it. Here is how it turned out... I dig the hell out of it!!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

No need to modify the forks, same OEM in mine. Front fender, different story, if you're gonna run your Fat Boy OEM fender you'll need brackets (get some or get some don for you at a shop) to lift the Fat Boy fender aprox. 1-1.5" and clear some space to receive the 21" setup. If you get a Heritage or Deluxe front fender you can (depending on the tire you put on) 90% get away without any modifications to the new fender, it will bolt on flawlessly. I have heard only from 1 case in which when running at highway speeds the fron 21" tire on a heritage softail expanded and rubbed against the fender heating it so much that the paint job on top of it got spoiled, but all others in here (with heritages and deluxes) putting a 21" have reported no problems at all.

My fender is an aftermarket one, manufactured by Klockwerks, it is specially designed to receive a 21"er in softail models. There are several styles from that brand. Mine can receive a 21" diameter and probably up to 150mm wide front tire.

Regards,

Mimo.

Quick Reply: 99 Fatboy Wheel Question...