Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wanna buy a wrecked bike.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I wanna buy a wrecked bike.....

I have decided that I have enough "leftover" parts to start another project. I have a couple sets of tins, stock wheels and tires, and much more from my Heritage project.

My only concern is "How do I go about buying a wrecked, dropped, or someone elses started project bike?" I know there are a few guys on here that do this for a living, so I thought they could give me a little help and point me in the right direction to look for a good deal. And also what I will need to have a clean title???

I am going to have another 4 to 6 months off work with my leg, so I need something to do.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are to places that sell bikes

www.copart.com

www.erepairables.com

Good luck! I do this for my cars but I have heard it is a pain in the but to get a repairable title on a motorcycle. Cars and trucks it is a piece of cake.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

2006 Softail $4900 with bent frame, FFS.

http://www.erepairables.com/vehicle_...n_softail.html

Prices on some bikes I have seen on ebay are cheaper than some of those salvage bikes.

3-4 weeks ago saw a 1999 FXSTC 5100 miles, 35K total invested with $7k of the ugliest paint you ever saw. Brought $5600. $5 rattle can and you have a sweet ride for $5605.

Last week 1999 FXSTC Lot of extras, 49K miles sold for $4400.

Get a cream puff and then customize it. STAY AWAY from the salvage title, drops the value in half (doesn't matter if you never sell it). If you can afford the insurance on a chopper just get an aftermarket frame ($500-750) and a new Stock evo from HD ($2500), 6 speed trannies are about $600, Primarys $400. Used evos are $1000+ and TC 88s are $1500+.

Lots of options out there and they're giving it away.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

dono where you're at but try your local police auction.

that's where i got the bike you see in my sig.

'08 street bob, 1500 miles, paid 5800 for it.

cost me somewhere around 700-1000 to get it road ready as it needed some work but i rode the last part of last season on my bike with no more than 7 grand into it.

modding the hell out of it this winter and come spring i'll be on the bike i want the way i want it for under 9 grand.

the auctions are a crap shoot though, you might go and find what you want, you might go and find nothing, just something to consider

Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
78fxs78
Banned

I know Wisconsin makes it real tuff to re-do a salvaged bike but I heard Illi isn't as bad. We have a couple places up here that its all they deal with.

http://www.cyclesalvage.net/bikes.php?bike=1

http://shop.ebay.com/harley-supercen...&_trksid=p3686

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know all the specifics and every state is unique but you can start with a new paughco frame for about 800.00 with a MSO to start the title process.. I know it takes more than just the frame but its a good start.. keep us posted..

Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Whatyardwork
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First you need to contact your DMV and find out what paper work is required to clean a salvaged title.As stated before every state is different.

In my state you need a copy of the insurance estimate that totaled the vehicle along with reciepts of all parts purchased as listed on that estimate {or proof you repaired something listed as replace}.Because you need reciepts those take off parts you have are virtualy useless without proof of purchase.

You may bring a title from a second vehicle proving you vultured parts from it, but they then stamp that title and list the missing parts.

You are far better off looking for a clean titled wreck.Any bike that crashed and didnt have full coverage will retain its clean title.Its the insurance companies who are responsible for labeling these vehicles as salvage.If they dont pay it off they have no reason to issue the salvage title.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just Asken... Now why would you want to mess with the title unless your planning on screwing the next guy....SHAME ON YOU GUYS!

How would you like to be in the next guys shoes and buy a bike that you paid top dollar for a clean title/no wrecks and the bike was twisted? BULL$HIT if you ask me!

Maybe just buy the SALVAGED bike and fix it then KEEP IT...IMO of course...

Hell i bought a Tahoe that was twisted didn't find out until 3 months later and i was PISSED!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Whatyardwork
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Just Asken... Now why would you want to mess with the title unless your planning on screwing the next guy....SHAME ON YOU GUYS!

How would you like to be in the next guys shoes and buy a bike that you paid top dollar for a clean title/no wrecks and the bike was twisted? BULL$HIT if you ask me!

Maybe just buy the SALVAGED bike and fix it then KEEP IT...IMO of course...

Hell i bought a Tahoe that was twisted didn't find out until 3 months later and i was PISSED!

Not shame..Reality.First you must understand the idea of a salvage vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with the extent of damage to any given vehicle but rather the cost of the repair vs. the vehicles value.

I'll use 2 common cars as an example:

Owner A and owner B both buy new Camrys on the same day.One month later a tree falls on driver A's car and causes $10,000 in damage.Because the vehicle is worth twice that the insurance company pays the lesser amount to repair it with no effect to the title.

10 years later driver B's car is perfect, never been in any accidents but on this day he backs into a trash can.He dents the quarter panel,scratches the bumper and brakes a tail lamp {$1500 to repair}.Because the vehicle is now 10 years old and has high mileage the insurance company totals the vehicle and a salvage title is issued as its cheeper to pay off the customer than to repair it.

As you can see it has nothing to do with the extent of damage that totals a vehicle.You tell me..which 10 year old Camry would you rather have?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
jed1069
Road Master

Actually you never "clean up a title" a salvage title needs to be inspected it will then be changed to a repairable title.

Quick Reply: I wanna buy a wrecked bike.....