Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wanna buy a wrecked bike.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i am in ohio, i bought a 2001 electraglide custom for $3400 with a salvage title from ill. i put less then $1000 in it, and am riding it now, it still needs paint on fairing,f fender and gastank but that will come soon, all i had to do is fix the bad parts, and show recipts, my buddy owns a garage, he made me up a few recipts. for parts we had laing around, didnt even mention most of the parts i put on, ..it was like that got it "wink",...had an inspection, they gave me some paperwork to take to the bmv, now i have a clear title .. it does say repaired in small print in the corner of the title, but they said that will disapear if i ever transfer the title, i dont think i will be selling any time soon

Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatyardwork
Not shame..Reality.First you must understand the idea of a salvage vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with the extent of damage to any given vehicle but rather the cost of the repair vs. the vehicles value.

I'll use 2 common cars as an example:

Owner A and owner B both buy new Camrys on the same day.One month later a tree falls on driver A's car and causes $10,000 in damage.Because the vehicle is worth twice that the insurance company pays the lesser amount to repair it with no effect to the title.

10 years later driver B's car is perfect, never been in any accidents but on this day he backs into a trash can.He dents the quarter panel,scratches the bumper and brakes a tail lamp {$1500 to repair}.Because the vehicle is now 10 years old and has high mileage the insurance company totals the vehicle and a salvage title is issued as its cheeper to pay off the customer than to repair it.

As you can see it has nothing to do with the extent of damage that totals a vehicle.You tell me..which 10 year old Camry would you rather have?
Just run a carfax on anything used that you plan to buy... 98% accurate on cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Whatyardwork
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Just run a carfax on anything used that you plan to buy... 98% accurate on cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
If you read there buy backguarentee you'll find its for cars and light trucks only.

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/termsConditions.cfx

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll go wreck my bike, get the insurance money, and sell it to ya for 10k

Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I'll go wreck my bike, get the insurance money, and sell it to ya for 10k
Yea no $hit....Thats basically how i see what they are trying to justify in doing.....wrecked is wrecked.....If your gonna pay top dollar for a bike i would hope it was not in any type of mishaps. And if your gonna buy a salvaged bike as a fixer upper...KEEP THE DAMM THING!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jed1069
Actually you never "clean up a title" a salvage title needs to be inspected it will then be changed to a repairable title.
Partially true. There are states where it is easier to wash a title and have it come out as a regular (non-salvage/repaired) title, which is why I will never knowingly buy a car that has come through Florida.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a few states where you can clean a title, I've seen it done before. For the $$ you spend an a total for the most part you can buy all you need to buy a motor,frame and parts you need to build a sick bike, all on e-bay. I was thinking of the same thing, buy a wreck but they just want too much for the damage on them at least so far from what I've seen

Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatyardwork
If you read there buy backguarentee you'll find its for cars and light trucks only.

http://www.carfax.com/manifest/bbg/termsConditions.cfx
I run bike vin #'s all the time... they show up on carfax if there has been a recorded incident at any time... maybe carfax will only guarantee tha cars and trucks , but the bikes show up.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now here's a project bike, check out this one http://www.clevelandcycle.com/Pictur...cfm?vin=084har

Quick Reply: I wanna buy a wrecked bike.....