Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Suspension advice please

08 Crossbones, lowering bolts installed on stock shocks to the slaminest position.
I weigh 270, ol'lady 135. My back is takin the beats every time I hit a bump of any
size. The ol'lady takes a beating sittin on that 200. What is the solution to make the
ride more enjoyable for the weekend excursions? I slammed it for looks but it's a tradeoff
I'm not willing to make this summer...
Are 422's going to do it for me?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raise it up 1 inch. If that doesn't do it for you physically and visually, you will need air ride.... PERIOD. On the cheap will not work for your demands ...or you will need to wrench alot with 422's as well. Good luck....

Originally Posted by Milty
08 Crossbones, lowering bolts installed on stock shocks to the slaminest position.
I weigh 270, ol'lady 135. My back is takin the beats every time I hit a bump of any
size. The ol'lady takes a beating sittin on that 200. What is the solution to make the
ride more enjoyable for the weekend excursions? I slammed it for looks but it's a tradeoff
I'm not willing to make this summer...
Are 422's going to do it for me?

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 01-04-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was afraid you might say that..
I just dropped a bunch of cash on engine mods.
I'll have to dig a little deeper for air ride..
I was totally prepared to scoop some 422's at the price there at.
Who's got the best prices on air ride and is that something I can do for
under a grand?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shotgun shocks are getting the best forum reviews. Someone was selling them on ebay a while back for $925. You might check with him here.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the Shotgun Shocks.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have slammed my bikes in the past with the same results, the lady likes to ride with me sometimes so i installed the SAS air ride kit...its the only way, but its bucks! sas retails for 1600 bucks ( thats without the switch & shipping)
i here a lot of people are going for the shotgun system now, sounds like a decent kit, beware there are air rides on ebay for as little as 500bucks, i myself would not touch em, would rather go with 422s
Just my 2cents

Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

I recommend the Platinum bleed feed over the shotgun for a few simple reasons. They were both designed by the same person but the bike and swing arm was designed for a 2 piece shock. The Platinum air ride is still two separate shocks that are rubber mounted as are the stock shocks. The Shotgun is a one piece unit which is trouble some to me as an engineer in tow ways. First, the one piece unit put far more stress on the swing arm bushings. Second, the shotgun shock has to be dropped so that the transmission oil can be drained which makes it take more shop time whether you pay someone to do it or not. I have made a video of the Platinum demonstrating it's rebounding properties. I have no first hand experience with the Shotgun, but it seems to me in all the video's I have seem of the Shotgun that the rebound does not seem to work as well as it does on the Platinum. I am a dealer for Platinum so of course I say this , right? My business philosophy is not to sell a product that I would not put on my own bike. I do not sell the Shotgun shock for this simple reason. I would not put it on my bike. There are plenty of people here who are happy with this product. I made a quick video to show how the Platinum rebounds and if you notice I am only using one hand and pushing lightly to get the bike to rebound. Watch the Shotgun videos on hos homepage and it seems he is having a difficult time getting the rebound set properly. Here is the platinum video. http://www.youtube.com/user/harleygo.../0/toaiaqdHbBQ Search for shotgun shock and you will see what I mean. We are offering the Platinum Bleed Feed at a discounted price in the vendor classified section. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/vendo...y-goodies.html

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Air ride is all you really can do, and have the best of both worlds easy.
I have 422's and they work great on firm, however I do not ride 2 up.
At you and your OL's combined weight, even on the 422's firmest setting, I still think they will have to much travel and will bottom out. THey are easy to adjust, but still a trouble if you ride single and then double. Go air ride in your situation.
If you go 422's here's the best price and free shipping. Enter the word "eastern" at the checkout in the coupon area and get an extra 10% off.
http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...2700%252d%2710

X

Last edited by Rockyriver; 01-04-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are money conscience, adjust them up about an inch(as said before) and try adjusting the stiffness. You can find a sweet spot where it rides good. Plus, if you dropped it as low as it will go, check and make sure your belt is not hitting the primary, at the top.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM
dkyork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
I recommend the Platinum bleed feed over the shotgun for a few simple reasons. They were both designed by the same person but the bike and swing arm was designed for a 2 piece shock. The Platinum air ride is still two separate shocks that are rubber mounted as are the stock shocks. The Shotgun is a one piece unit which is trouble some to me as an engineer in tow ways. First, the one piece unit put far more stress on the swing arm bushings. Second, the shotgun shock has to be dropped so that the transmission oil can be drained which makes it take more shop time whether you pay someone to do it or not. I have made a video of the Platinum demonstrating it's rebounding properties. I have no first hand experience with the Shotgun, but it seems to me in all the video's I have seem of the Shotgun that the rebound does not seem to work as well as it does on the Platinum. I am a dealer for Platinum so of course I say this , right? My business philosophy is not to sell a product that I would not put on my own bike. I do not sell the Shotgun shock for this simple reason. I would not put it on my bike. There are plenty of people here who are happy with this product. I made a quick video to show how the Platinum rebounds and if you notice I am only using one hand and pushing lightly to get the bike to rebound. Watch the Shotgun videos on hos homepage and it seems he is having a difficult time getting the rebound set properly. Here is the platinum video. http://www.youtube.com/user/harleygo.../0/toaiaqdHbBQ Search for shotgun shock and you will see what I mean. We are offering the Platinum Bleed Feed at a discounted price in the vendor classified section. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/vendo...y-goodies.html
I can do exactly what you just did on that video with my newly installed Shotgun shocks. I'm not sure why they need to press down so hard in other shotgun shock videos on the net. Maybe I'll make a video if my rear tire every comes in....

regards,

Dale

Quick Reply: Suspension advice please