Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bags & hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
*JC*
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bags & hardware

Been doing some research but I haven't got very far as it grew extemely complicated the more I investigated the subject.

Bike: 06 Softail standard

I'm looking into getting some bags but I've ran into a few issues. First off I have axle covers and that presents a problem with some bags? I'm not wanting to remove them as 99% the time I'll not be using the bags and I'd like to keep the clean look I've got. I know that the docking hardware will disrupt that but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. The second problem is most all bags call for the relocation of rear turn signals, and that's something I rather not do. Then there is the question of which holes are used for the docking hardware on my particular bike?

I was thinking of going with leather pros bags but they use their on distinctive hardware and that might present a problem since they call for the relocation of the rear turn signals.

I was looking at the "Easy Brackets" and they claim to use the two front holes. But since leather pros hardware is different I don't see that working. So maybe there is other options or ideas many of you have found to work?

Anyhow I thought I would refer the question to others that have encountered similar problems? I'm looking for suggestion and answers some of you have resolved and how you did it? Pictures would also be helpful... Thanks.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I have a Night Train, so it's a little different, but maybe this'll help. I'm using Leatherworks bags with EasyBrackets. Unless you use really small bags and/or mount them really far forward, you're going to have issues with the rear signals. I removed and replaced them with Alloy Arts and a Joker Machine taillight/plate frame, 'cause the H-D relocation kit is butt ugly.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the Leatherpros and am very happy with the fit and quality.
They work with the HD docking hardware and I was able to keep my HD backrest.
Seems like no matter what you do you are going to have to relocate the turnsignals. Mine were already relocated when I got my bike so I didnt have to move them.
The hardware that comes with the bags is good stuff. JMHO
MikeM

Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM
*JC*
Advanced

Thanks, and yea the rear turn signals diffently present a real problem. O' I agree the HD relocation kit is truly ugly. Not so bad on a Fatboy or Deuce but that bobtail fender of the sofatil and night train the HD relocation kit lacks much to be desired. About the best relocation turn signal kit I've seen is the one by greatbikegear Part no. # TSFXST-02.

But hey what can you do right? Me I think bags are generally ugly on a bike (unless its a bagger bike, then they look right at home and appealing) but it makes it real hard to make a trip having no storage, LOL. It's just that I don't travel far and 99% time I'll never use them so relocating the rear turn signals was not something I wanted to do. They look good right where they are and relocating them would only ruin the looks. Nevertheless sacrfices have to be made I guess? Just trying to pin down the best option so to keep a nice clean look.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i used easy brackets on the front bolts and keep the turn lights. i also have harley detachable backrest and i made a mod so i dont have to remove the turn lamp

Attached Thumbnails Bags & hardware-dsc01342c.jpg   Bags & hardware-dsc01344c.jpg   Bags & hardware-dsc08950c.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 AM
NOLaFatBoy
Cruiser

TK353, can you show us the mod you made to the back rest?

Last edited by NOLaFatBoy; 01-04-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

sure you just have to remove the hump in the quick disconnect brackets.
http://gallery.me.com/tk353#100418/D...&bgcolor=black

Attached Thumbnails Bags & hardware-dsc02352c.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
*JC*
Advanced

Originally Posted by tk353
i used easy brackets on the front bolts and keep the turn lights. i also have harley detachable backrest and i made a mod so i dont have to remove the turn lamp
What bags did you go with?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
FXSTC_Bill
Advanced

I went with HD's synthetic leather saddlebags for the Softail with Cycle Visions Bareback quick release system. Love this setup! Uses the factory bracket on the HD saddlebags to mount them. Went with synthetic bags because they seem to hold their shape better and dont seem to fade out as fast.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by *JC*
What bags did you go with?
i went with used willie and max bags for $40 because i use them maybe 6 times a year. they have handles, detachable and they dont fill with water in the rain, ever. i have the large bags with the small easy brackets and they work fine. just saw a set on ebay in black at about half the new price. Item number: 230419526277
they are so easy to to unlock and carry into hotel because of the handles. I want the trunk next
http://www.willieandmax.com/products...?item=58903-22

Last edited by tk353; 01-04-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Bags & hardware