Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bags & hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
FXSTC_Bill
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FXSTC_Bill
I went with HD's synthetic leather saddlebags for the Softail with Cycle Visions Bareback quick release system. Love this setup! Uses the factory bracket on the HD saddlebags to mount them. Went with synthetic bags because they seem to hold their shape better and dont seem to fade out as fast.
Oh, and I didn't have to relocate the turnsignals.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
*JC*
Advanced

Yes, I really would prefer to not have to relocate the turn signals. I rarely will use the bags and relocating the turn signals just to make room for bags would be dissappointing. I'm looking for a solution that will keep the lights as they are and also work around the axle covers.

Who makes a nice bag that doesn't lose it's shape and become soggy?

Many of you have offered some great ideas and I thank you.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

willie and max dont sag and i have over loaded them and they keep the shape
harley detachable sissy bar and backrest can be made so you dont remove the turn lights

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
*JC*
Advanced

Originally Posted by tk353
willie and max dont sag and i have over loaded them and they keep the shape
harley detachable sissy bar and backrest can be made so you dont remove the turn lights
You talking about the traditional or revolution bags?

What size?

I'm guessing hard mount style?

and you used easy brackets?

Last edited by *JC*; 01-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by *JC*
You talking about the traditional or revolution bags?

What size?

I'm guessing hard mount style?

and you used easy brackets?
whats the difference? (traditional or revolution bags)

they are the large size
http://www.willieandmax.com/products...?item=58903-22

16" X 11" X 6.5"
and i used the short easy brackets so i would not have to relocate the turn signals

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
*JC*
Advanced

whats the difference? (traditional or revolution bags)

they are the large size
http://www.willieandmax.com/products...?item=58903-22

16" X 11" X 6.5"
and i used the short easy brackets so i would not have to relocate the turn signals
No offense but red bags really don't go with your bike's color, but hey didn't you say you got them really cheap and hardly ever use them? Which of course you can't beat that...

Evidently willie max makes two different types of bags. One style is traditional and the other is revolution. Best that i can tell yours looks to be the traditional style. However I was noticing the slant given to the rear portions of the revolution style and thought they might look better and give extra space to the turn signal area? You'd have to vist their site to see what I'm talking about. I kind a of like the look of the revolution style...

Thanks for sharing the size of bags. Since I'm going to put a set of bags on might as well get the biggest I can get that will work in respect to my desires.

What are the short easy brackets? I didn't know they made different sizes? I'm diffently going to have to use the two forward holes to get this to work? Just need to know what is the right brackets to get?

Last edited by *JC*; 01-06-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by *JC*

What are the short easy brackets? I didn't know they made different sizes? I'm diffently going to have to use the two forward holes to get this to work? Just need to know what is the right brackets to get?
the bags were only $40 and only used them a few times a year. there is a set of black with studs on ebay that were never used for about $109
the easy brackets have 2 choice for the mounts. the forward bolts or the rear. mine is for the forward bolts, also mine is for the detachable harley backrest but you cant get another bolt kit for $20 later and use the standard bolts for wall mounting the bags when not in use
the bags are slanted front and rear

ST-R2
2006 FXST, FXSTB, FXSTS and 2007 FLSTF
This model is used on 2006 & later FXST, FXSTB and FXSTS, 2007 & later FLSTF and 2008 & later FLSTSB models. The docking posts
attach to the front two mounting holes in the fender rail. (5 5/8” apart)

Last edited by tk353; 01-06-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
*JC*
Advanced

the bags were only $40 and only used them a few times a year. there is a set of black with studs on ebay that were never used for about $109
the easy brackets have 2 choice for the mounts. the forward bolts or the rear. mine is for the forward bolts, also mine is for the detachable harley backrest but you cant get another bolt kit for $20 later and use the standard bolts for wall mounting the bags when not in use
the bags are slanted front and rear

ST-R2
2006 FXST, FXSTB, FXSTS and 2007 FLSTF
This model is used on 2006 & later FXST, FXSTB and FXSTS, 2007 & later FLSTF and 2008 & later FLSTSB models. The docking posts
attach to the front two mounting holes in the fender rail. (5 5/8” apart)
If using the easy brackets do you also have to use the bag supports?
I'm not sure the revolution bags will work they are longer between 2 & 4 inches longer. I'll have to measure... But I guess I diffently don't want the throw overs, correct? If I'm going to be using easy brackets, right?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jc. when going to bags, do it once, do it right. hard to avoid the turn sig re-location, and axle cover issues with the larger bags....period. yea you can be a cheap a$$ and coble some crap together. BUT...you've got a nice ride going, keep it that way. i come to this forum to give and recieve help. not to get in a pissing contest, however...some people on this forum post, just to post. be it right or wrong. if you find something that really catches your fancy, but is a little more than you wanted to spend, wait, save some money, and GET WHAT YOU WANT. dont just throw some $hit together. my paperboy has better taste in bags on his ride than what i've seen in this post. lots of nice bags/mounts out there, just keep looking. hope this helps. steve

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
*JC*
Advanced

Originally Posted by snip0721
jc. when going to bags, do it once, do it right. hard to avoid the turn sig re-location, and axle cover issues with the larger bags....period. yea you can be a cheap a$$ and coble some crap together. BUT...you've got a nice ride going, keep it that way. i come to this forum to give and recieve help. not to get in a pissing contest, however...some people on this forum post, just to post. be it right or wrong. if you find something that really catches your fancy, but is a little more than you wanted to spend, wait, save some money, and GET WHAT YOU WANT. dont just throw some $hit together. my paperboy has better taste in bags on his ride than what i've seen in this post. lots of nice bags/mounts out there, just keep looking. hope this helps. steve
Thanks snip0721,

Both for the advice and compliment. If you've looked at my garage here, be it the Bird or Bike, then you know I don't just throw things together. That's not to say I haven't made an error or two because the idea looked better in my mind than real world. However when i make such mistakes I fix it or start from scratch and begin again till it is right, price is not an issue. But usually I do pretty well and have often had my ideas copied, which I don't mind. That's the sincerest compliment I can get having the knowledge, I created an idea others liked so much, they followed my lead...

Nope, if anything I'm sure you can tell that I think things out because I'm also a firm believer in doing it once and doing it right. However, I don't easily accept that something can't be done. I've spent a life time frabricating things others haven't tried but I'm no fool either and know there is things that simply won't work. It has to be clean, natural and with the flow or it doesn't look right. Thus why I ask a lot a questions and I realise that tries some peoples patience but those whom understand the reasoning behind that never grow tired and are all to willing to help, for they themselves understand in order to do something unique or untried takes a great deal of knowledge and artistic flair.

Now money wise cheap is always better but never go cheap in quality. If the perfect set up cost $100 bucks and it looks better than a $1000 job others have, then you've accomplised something. However, never do a $100 buck job to be cheap if it cost more to do it right, then spend the extra money and do it right; is my Philosophy... Now if your just trying to get across town on Christmas night then suffer the embarassment of using the donut spare on the Vette and buy a real tire the next day.

My idea of bags is going with as large as possible given the deminsions of the area I have to work with. I don't need the biggest bags out there as I know I'll not be using them often. I haven't needed a bag in three years just thought they'd by nice if should I want to take a longer trip sometime ... Anyhow, there are various different bag shapes made and if I can find the right shape that look nice and will fit in the right placement without having to relocate the turn signals then that's the goal. If this can be done by using brackets that shift the bags slightly forward and outward then that's the right approach. Having a bobtail fender really doesn't compliment any bag I've ever seen, so all I can do is find that sweet balance if it's possible.

If upon my finial determination before I've purchased a thing, that no such solution can be found, then I'll elect to go with relocating the turn signals. However, I can already say that HD turn signal relocation is out, they are butt ugly as one poster said... Moving the turn lights to the license plate is a much more eye appealing solution on a bobtail fender.

Anyhow, just to let you know I don't find anything wrong what so ever with your post. I dont find your post being offensive or rude. You're telling it as it is, with heartfelt honesty and truthfulness. I for one am deeply grateful that you shared your opinion and advice so openly and candidly. You can be sure I'm not going to go off and make a purchase stupidly or on a hunch. I'm going to know with the best of my ability that my purchase is going to work. Thus why I'm asking others about such things...

Last edited by *JC*; 01-06-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Bags & hardware