Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the rear suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
murlsquirl
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering the rear suggestions

It's about time I get it out of the way. A lot of different stuff out there, some as cheap as $60. I don't want to buy crap so point me in the right direction.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

The only question you have to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend. You get what you pay for with suspension. Air ride is far more expensive but provides a far better ride as well with a lot more flexibility than a lowered stock shock or a lowering shock. What do you want out of the bike being lowered? Just for looks? Better ride and looks too? Like you said there are many choices to make.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by murlsquirl
It's about time I get it out of the way. A lot of different stuff out there, some as cheap as $60. I don't want to buy crap so point me in the right direction.
If you got some money to blow, go air ride. For between $650 and $1000 dollars you can have a good air ride. I know their are cheaper ones and more expensive out there but this is a good estimate. I just went with Progressive 422's on the rear ($336.00 at Eastern Performance Cycle, 10% of regular right now) ), and I kept adjusting them and looking and adjusting and looking till I had them all the way down (2" inches lower than stock). If you go Progressive drop it the full 2 inches and be done, Because you will keep lowering till its at its lowest level. I installed the Progressive lowering drop in kit ($103.00) in the front (2 inches lower) and its anything but drop in on my bike. As far as the lowering bolts go that go on your stock soft tail shocks I think there cheap kind of (Example Harly part# 54001-04A) , and besides they won't fit a Deluxe like mine because Harley has A longer soft tail shock on the Deluxes to lowering them over other soft tails already. And yes I am with you on the don't buy crap that you will regret later having. My vote for the Night Train is Progressive front and rear. And adjust those rears to firm after lowering.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 01-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM
murlsquirl
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
The only question you have to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend. You get what you pay for with suspension. Air ride is far more expensive but provides a far better ride as well with a lot more flexibility than a lowered stock shock or a lowering shock. What do you want out of the bike being lowered? Just for looks? Better ride and looks too? Like you said there are many choices to make.
I would love air ride, but not going to fork out that much. Mainly just looks, the ride is fine with me the way it is. Rear fender just looks weird sitting so high off the tire.

I could handle spending $400 on the Progressive like RockyRiver but would have to wait a while. Maybe that would be better than spending $100 on the lowering bolt. I can't make up my damn mind.

ROCKYRIVER, I just noticed you updated your signature pic. The bike looks good all cleaned up with the pipes and lowered.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by murlsquirl
ROCKYRIVER, I just noticed you updated your signature pic. The bike looks good all cleaned up with the pipes and lowered.

Thanks, I am trying to update it (sig picture) as I do mods so as not to confuse people when they read my articles or Signature line and the Sig picture don't match with my stated mods.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the bolts online for like 30 bones (ebay) they got my bike low and lookin good. Didn't ride to bad. That is until the shock seized. i upgraded to progressives and was much happier they are worth the money. i got them here used from a member they been great for over a year. look around there is alot of people selling them to get air ride. Oh ya i did modify the progressives to get a three inch drop. Lower the better.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
and besides they won't fit a Deluxe like mine because Harley has A longer soft tail shock on the Deluxes to lowering them over other soft tails already.
Lowering bolts will fit on stock Deluxe shocks.....i did it.....

And with bolts ride was cool. You just have to find the sweet spot thats all. Great cheap way to lower your bike. You can find bolts as cheap as $20.00 on e-bay.

Now if your riden 2-up all the time thats a different story you may want to look for a better option.

here's a deluxe shock with lowering bolts...i know they are filthy...Lowering the rear suggestions-shock.jpg

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 01-01-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Lowering bolts will fit on stock Deluxe shocks.....i did it.....

And with bolts ride was cool. You just have to find the sweet spot thats all. Great cheap way to lower your bike. You can find bolts as cheap as $20.00 on e-bay.

Now if your riden 2-up all the time thats a different story you may want to look for a better option.

here's a deluxe shock with lowering bolts...i know they are filthy...Attachment 86470

I stand corrected then, I was told by Harley they would'nt work. I guess they just wanted to sell me something more expensive.
Here is the kit they had, what was your kit?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...4&default=none

X

Old 01-01-2010, 06:27 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I stand corrected then, I was told by Harley they would'nt work. I guess they just wanted to sell me something more expensive.
Here is the kit they had, what was your kit?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...4&default=none

X
Yes Rocky... i couldn't agree more with you on this. They say not to install them on Deluxes because they already come lowered from the factory. And dropping it even more(more than -1") is dangerous in HD's eye's.

As for the bolts i was runnen i purchased them from e-bay for under $30.00...

Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I used White Bros. Studs 8 years ago still workin.....

Quick Reply: Lowering the rear suggestions