Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC III how do you know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

TFI is fine for simp[le tuning, but I like my power commander better. A bud has the tfi and my bike runs way better even without a Dyno on the current setup. I don't think the pricing on a TFI and power commander are so different. The best reason to buy from Fuel Moto as opposed to someone else is customer service and access to their extensive map database. If you don't like how it runs at first, contact them and they will send you another map. Almost as good as getting a Dyno. It is my understanding that their maps are not just the canned maps found on the Dynojet site, but all the bikes they have tuned in their shop.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM
ski917
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So with mine being preset, will I ever need to plug up the laptop to adjust the fuel ?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ski917
So with mine being preset, will I ever need to plug up the laptop to adjust the fuel ?
never say never

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

What Fuelmoto can't do is set your 0 throttle position. That has to be done on the bike. You need a laptop to do that. The software is free. You can borrow a laptop for that task, or get a loooong USB cord <grin>.

There are numerous old threads on this forum about electronic tuners. If you want to get a complete perspective you should read them, I think.

I bought my PCIII used on the internet. It saved me enough that it paid for half of my dyno work. Harley was just starting into having an O2 sensor then and I knew I would want a different ECM than the stock HD one when the aftermarket ECM's caught up with them. I also knew that I would be making other changes and when I did, I would need a new dyno setup which gets expensive after a number of mods!

Today, no matter what bike I was working with, I would just bite the bullet and get wide band O2 sensors (if they weren't on the bike already) and a complete unit replacement that has autotune features, such as the ThunderMax. I don't know enough about the PCV with autotune, but it probably would do also. If you are never (remember, never say never) going to do any mods then a more basic unit will save you a few bucks. If you are going to change your cam tensioners, then why not the cams... while you're at it... and hey, the heads could use a little work, too. With a good air intake and a good exhaust, you would have some serious performance improvements without pulling the engine.

If you want more HP and Torque in a big way, then you have to get more displacement. That's another kettle of fish.

I rode a new CVO bike at a demo. It wasn't any snappier than my '06 with the tuner, SE air cleaner, and SE pipes that I have. It just seems that with HD's approach to emissions and noise, they are simply slightly ahead of treading water in terms of performance. Soooo... no matter what year you get, you are going to want to make some changes sooner or later I think.

C#

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
ski917
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh ok. Well what I did to my bike by adding the intake, pipes and fuel motos ps3, thats all I plan on doing to it. I'm not looking to mess with cams and all of that.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ski917
Ohh ok. Well what I did to my bike by adding the intake, pipes and fuel motos ps3, thats all I plan on doing to it. I'm not looking to mess with cams and all of that.
Yea i was that way too until i got the deal on the hooker pipes and then it was the same price to get another dyno tune as it was for a used thundermax. now i am going to buy some more pipes and this time i just reprogram free and let it tune. 47000 miles so far

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Yep... there's no free lunch and tk is right... you will eventually change something else. I am at 4 years on mine and I am very close to making changes that are going to send me to an autotune setup... $1k all in and of itself not counting what I will do to the engine.

C#