Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:48 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulley Cover

What kind of a job is it to put a chrome cover over the pulley?. I'd like a chrome pulley but can't swing the cost.

Thanks
JP

Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wouldn't think it would be much to it. Remove rear wheel, remove pulley bolts, put on cover, replace pulley bolts (using new bolts), reinstall rear wheel, set belt deflection. Done!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not hard. I did mine a few years ago and i'm not that mechanically inclinded.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM
tnhd06
Advanced

I did mine last week ... Just what they said above in their post. If you can get your rear wheel off you have it whip.

Attached Thumbnails Pulley Cover-img_0044small.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did mine when I first got my bike. I had no knowledge of how to do it. I did it in about 2.5 Hours. I could do one now in about 1.25 hours. Just pull the axle and then take an air gun to take off the pulley bolts and a torque wrench to reinstall with blue loctite, make sure you blue loctite. Also go ahead and get the chrome bolts also or the chroome caps that go over your stock bolts to enhance the chrome cover even more. Make sure that the bolts you get, if you go that way are the identical length, not shorter or longer. If your exaust is in the way of the axle shaft being pulled (on right) you may have to pull the mufflers (stock pipes) or the header pipes off (aftermarket headers). Also check how your belt tension is right now, and remember how much play it has, so you will know when you tension it back. Also go ahead and get a polished rotor ($139.00 at Harley) while you got the axle pulled, you know you will do it in a few more months , so do it now and save the hassle.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 01-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Just a little hint , when you pull the axel , reinstall it from the other direction . Will make any repairs or maintenance to the rear wheel easier , no need to loosen or remove exhaust .

Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies...I'll consult the manual, but are there any problems with alignment or rear wheel tracking that I have to be aware of? Thanks again for all the tips!

JP

Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's way easier now. When I put mine on my '90 FXSTC, you had to 'dish' the threads on the wheel with a drill and put in studs for chrome acorn nuts. Man was I nervous to do this on a new bike, but that's what they had to mount it with and that's what the instructions said. Wifey thought I was absolutely krazy.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luvtoride
Thanks for the replies...I'll consult the manual, but are there any problems with alignment or rear wheel tracking that I have to be aware of? Thanks again for all the tips!

JP

Count the treads on the axle adjuster bolts and make them the same on each side each side is all you need to do. Count them before tear down and this will help you going back. Count the threads from the bolt head towards the rear is easier. Here is a high dollar axle adjuster ,but still almost the same as yours. Look at this link to get an idea of what the adjuster bolt looks like.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...5&default=none

X

Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

you can drop the wheel without ever touching the axle adjusters.

Quick Reply: Pulley Cover