Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 heads on a 96

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Chopper Dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ST4 1690 RACE KIT, TBW, BLACK Product ID: 27517-08 is the kit I believe your talking about. It's the stage 4 race kit 103. It comes with 110 heads. Out the gate from the stealership is about 3600 for parts and labor. I'm planning on doing this upgrade in the near future.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah well even S&S says not to expect long life from their big engines...........I figure they know alittle about what they are doing.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

How many times have you had a cager next to you that your starting to think..."this guy dont even know I'm here.....even though I'm probably ratteling his windows, this guy is about to wipe me out and slide over into my lane...." It's for these reasons that "personally" I love to have as much available power when I crack the throttle.

Call it psychological....call it whatever......but thats just me....

Then there are those summer times where my friends and I are just flat out playing mr bad *** on the NJ Shore Parkway and using all our available power to roll down South and have some fun......again...thats just me.......

255's going in next month......then after this summers over I'll probably do the heads and Piston thing....Happy New Year all......

Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Yeah well even S&S says not to expect long life from their big engines...........I figure they know alittle about what they are doing.
Depends on one's definition of "long life," I suppose. There's a guy here on HDF (Dalton) who just tore down his Head Quarters 120" build (makes like 125hp/145tq). Pistons looked good, cylinders look good...not problems what-so-ever. Oh, he had 35k miles on the build. He only tore it down for an "inspection." Already has it back together.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I would consider 35,000 just broke in,not tear down time to "see how things look".Just don't have the money or time.I want to ride.I rode a Boss Hoss for a couple of years LOTS of power,no where to really use it,like my under powered Harley just fine,alot easier to stay out of trouble.If it's there I will use it.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand your point, and I'm not trying to argue with your points. I'm just a power junkie!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I think if I was inclined to make changes I would go along these lines;

* Change the cam design to one that closes the intake at near 30-degrees after bottom dead center (ABDC). This starts real power at or near 2500 rpm which is 55 mph in top gear. Either the Screamin' Eagle 204 with a Crane 4-degree advance engine sprocket or an Andrews TW21 performs well. My JM20 cam set is no longer available as Bartels' Performance Products has not ordered any from Andrews for some time now.

* Fit a Screamin' Eagle or similar free flowing air filter. Avoid those filters that have the air turn corners or that directly expose the filter element to the air stream. The Screamin' Eagle, Rivera "Smoothie" or Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" are good examples.

* Use the stock header pipes or pipes that have the same length and diameter.

* Fit mufflers with free-flowing baffles. If you like the traditional shorty dual mufflers then use old style (loud) Screamin' Eagle slip-ons or the same thing from Cycle Shack. For touring riders, there is no better than the SuperTrapp touring mufflers with the performance baffle set; this is the same as Screamin' Eagle touring mufflers & SuperTrapp baffle set mentioned earlier.

* If your engine is one of the carbureted versions, fit a Mikuni HSR45 with the Mileage Kit (Fox Distributing, near Chicago (630) 513-9700. This carburetor greatly improves throttle response and ups peak power between five and seven HP.

* If you have EFI, then you might use the Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner kit or a Power Commander from Dynojet to get the mixtures just right. Stock 'jetting', carbureted or EFI, is very lean in the 20 - 40% throttle range and become more so after the air cleaner and muffler changes. You must re-tune the EFI after the modifications.

These modifications are simple, relatively inexpensive and extremely effective. Hundreds of owners have modified their engines to these specifications and none that I know of has regretted the changes. These moderately altered engines have a very wide power band, much wider than stock. It starts at about 2200 rpm and extends past 6000 rpm. They are also more tractable and pleasant to use than stock. Passing or climbing power in top gear is remarkably improved and a Harley with such an engine will generally blow the doors off most big-cam, high-hor$epower bikes in a top gear roll-on.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by beaureed445
I'm going to respectfully disagree with everything you said. Heads and cams ARE good for racing, BUT they're also great for the street. Stock is fine....for most people, but not all people. Some say that running a big motor is a trade-off (power v/s reliability).....This is not always the case. You can build tons of power, in the lower rpm ranges; doesn't have to be in the 5,000 range, as you stated. These bikes come under-powered from the factory. There's nothing wrong with bumping up a little for the power that you desire. Power is an addiction- the more you have, the more you want!
+1...can NEVER have enough power!

Old 10-04-2020, 01:45 PM
John Saunders
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 103 heads on 96

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
My understanding on the 103 heads is that the valves are bigger and the eyebrows in the 96" pistons are too small, it can be done if the pistons are cut for the bigger valves. I was thinking the same thing but with that much work just go with the 103" with heads. You can have yours redone and get the same or better performance, the 103 haeds are not that great to begin with, there are so many better ones out there. Any engine can benifit from better breathing. A good set of heads on a 96 (w/cams) will outrun the MoCo 103 kits
in my opinion 96 twin cam is the best engine Harley has ever made

Old 10-04-2020, 01:56 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,757 Likes on 19,298 Posts

@John Saunders Do you realize that you replied to a thread that has been dormant for almost 11 years ??

Quick Reply: 103 heads on a 96