Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 422 install Loctite or No?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Dieselhed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive 422 install Loctite or No?

I have read several posts on here of guys installing these without using the special Snap-on tool. Did that, but I also see posts saying to make sure and use red loctite on the bolts. The instructions and even the service manual don't say anything about using loctite. Is this only for the reason the special tool was not used to accuratley tighten the bolts?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 AM
dkyork
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dieselhed
I have read several posts on here of guys installing these without using the special Snap-on tool. Did that, but I also see posts saying to make sure and use red loctite on the bolts. The instructions and even the service manual don't say anything about using loctite. Is this only for the reason the special tool was not used to accuratley tighten the bolts?
I used blue loctite on my bolts and the two nuts on the front. I torqued the front down to spec, but just cranked the rear down as hard as possible with a couple taps from a hammer on a crescent wrench. Never had an issue with them coming loose.

regards,

Dale

Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only used loctite on the bolts that hold the 422 shocks to the swingarm. You will need to adjust the front bolts to raise and lower the bike and they jam nut togeather and reqire really no loctite. I use blue loctite, instead of red. The blue will hold good enough, and the red is to hard to break back loose if you want to take it apart again in the future. You do not need the snap on tool to change out shocks, I used a 3/4 inch box end hand wrench, I then locked another hand wrench to it by putting a second box end on the open end of the wrench on the shock bolt, this gives me a longer wrench and leverage (Old Mechanics trick). The bolt when going back gets loctite and the old 2 or 3 grunt method, on large bolts I hardly ever use a torque wrench. Heres my post from last week, see the pics of the 422's in the first post.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html

Last edited by Rockyriver; 12-30-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM
09_NightRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
I used a 3/4 inch box end hand wrench, I then locked another hand wrench to it by putting a second box end on the open end of the wrench on the shock bolt, this gives me a longer wrench and leverage (Old Mechanics trick).
that's what I do too...

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Dieselhed
Cruiser

Good. I used blue loctite and beat it with a sledge a couple of times. When I removed the stockers I was surprised they weren't as tight as most people say. There was no trace of any loctite at all on either end. Didn't want to use red either as with the bushings on the shocks using heat is not an option for removal if I ever had to remove them. Thanks fellas. Hope these suckers ride as good as they look. Got springs for the front as well so I'll probably have more questions later.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I wedged a box-end wrench between the rear bolts and the ground, then lowered the bike off the jack and let 700 pounds of motorcycle break them loose. Blue Loctite and a hammer to put them back on.

Don't Loctite the fronts, you use them to adjust the shocks.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

I only used the blue loctite on the rear bolts and also purchased the snap-on adapter - this made getting the bolts off and then torque'd back on easy. The front bolts have rubber grommits that apply pressure to the bolts which should keep them secure.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:46 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLUE! and nothing on the ride height adjustment end....

...oh you did the job already and used blue... cool

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 12-30-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Was anyone able to get a torque wrench on 2 front flange nuts, or did you just tighten them up by feel?

I installed 422's on my FXSTC today, and I couldn't get a deep socket & torque wrench on the front flange nuts because the case was in the way.

Thanks