Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009 | 07:53 AM
Smokey Burnouts
|
Road Captain
Default Need Advise!!

Ive been savin to get my bike, seems every time i get the funds i have to spend it on necessary but unexpected expenses. Which prolly is good cause im stuck tryin to chose the "right" bike for me.

What im askin is: Guys/Gals that have done the mods and changed the parts, from a money perspective what is my best route.

BIKES of choice are: Xbones, Night Train, FXSTS.... perfer 200mm tire (2006+ bikes)

Love the "BadBoy" so im goin for modern version of that.

So......Options
A) Night Train: and buy a springer front and apes.
B) Xbones: 21" front wheel, forward control set.
C) FXSTS: lots of blacking out, apes.

Sorry so long winded but any advise would be awesome!! THANKS

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:14 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

If you want a bad boy then I would for sure go with the Xbones. New seat forward controls pipes and a 21' rim is going to be cheaper then a springer front end, rim and pipes.

The reason I also say this is that you are on a budget based on your post. You want a bad boy that means you want a springer front end. Lets face it that means a springer front for sure and they are not cheap. What if you have more issue come up, nothing worse then not being happy with your bike.

I have seen used Xbones on ebay and at the stealers. You should be able to get a decent deal on one.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:27 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

You could buy a used Bad Boy for probably under 10K. I've seen them for 8-9K. Lots of great deals out there right now.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:48 AM
twisted125
Road Master

Well. you mention blacking out. The FXSTS would have the front end that you want and is a great looking bike, but then you would have a lot of blacking out to do. The X bones is a nice bike too. Not so much my cup of tea, but it covers the springer and black aspects. However, the Train is a Sick bike. They stopped production, so you would be looking at gently used, or dealer left overs. Probably the most cost effective model from these listed, and is already blacked out. It has the 21" front and a 200 rear. I would say go for the train, ride it, love it, and get the springer front end you want when you can. You could then sell your old front end and make some of the money back. My 2 cents, go with the train.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:55 AM
Smokey Burnouts
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigSeaDaddy
If you want a bad boy then I would for sure go with the Xbones. New seat forward controls pipes and a 21' rim is going to be cheaper then a springer front end, rim and pipes.

The reason I also say this is that you are on a budget based on your post. You want a bad boy that means you want a springer front end. Lets face it that means a springer front for sure and they are not cheap. What if you have more issue come up, nothing worse then not being happy with your bike.

I have seen used Xbones on ebay and at the stealers. You should be able to get a decent deal on one.

Good luck!
Thanks!!
Ive seen the 21" on some Xbones but cant seem to get info on prices and where the rim/tire was bought!!

I always start on a budget, but know how that goes. I just hate making payments so tryin to get the cash.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:57 AM
Smokey Burnouts
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WARG
You could buy a used Bad Boy for probably under 10K. I've seen them for 8-9K. Lots of great deals out there right now.
Ive looked into that, but kinda want the 88 or 96! Dont know why othere than me just bein hard headed!!

Old 12-28-2009 | 09:01 AM
Smokey Burnouts
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by twisted125
Well. you mention blacking out. The FXSTS would have the front end that you want and is a great looking bike, but then you would have a lot of blacking out to do. The X bones is a nice bike too. Not so much my cup of tea, but it covers the springer and black aspects. However, the Train is a Sick bike. They stopped production, so you would be looking at gently used, or dealer left overs. Probably the most cost effective model from these listed, and is already blacked out. It has the 21" front and a 200 rear. I would say go for the train, ride it, love it, and get the springer front end you want when you can. You could then sell your old front end and make some of the money back. My 2 cents, go with the train.
And u got the color train that i think is awesome!! I know i can get MID USA($800) or DNA($450) springers but i like the paugcho, would love a factory HD one but not sure how easy it would be to get, and how much!!
Thanks!!

Last edited by Smokey Burnouts; 12-28-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2009 | 09:57 AM
twisted125
Road Master

I have a Standard, not a train. Its beginning to look a lot like a train though, more and more black to contrast the blue, and they are essentially the same bike. Look at FREEFALL's bike. He has a denim blue train that looks amazing. No springer, but great taste. Say you get one of the springers you listed, ball park a happy medium of 600 bucks. You could pull a few hundred from ebay or on the classifieds here for your old front end I would think.

Old 12-28-2009 | 10:01 AM
Smokey Burnouts
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by twisted125
I have a Standard, not a train. Look at FREEFALL's bike. He has a denim blue train that looks amazing. No springer, but great taste.
Sorry... i think i got yall mixed up at the glance, just saw blue metals!! haha

Looked and Paughco dont make a black springer, so that leaves me to powder coating one or buy a "cheaper" one or prolly pay $3000 for a HD black!

Old 12-28-2009 | 10:11 AM
twisted125
Road Master

Paughco and powder coat would be the route I would take.

Quick Reply: Need Advise!!