Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars for 2010 FB Lo

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009 | 11:07 PM
Bonzo27524
|
Cruiser
Default Handlebars for 2010 FB Lo

Would like to hear some ideas for my 2010 FB Lo (black denim). I leaning strongly towards 10" apes (chrome or black?) but I have seen some low profile drag bars that I think would look good too. I want to be able to lean back in the seat a little more than I do now with the stock bars. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:33 AM
bikermama
Road Captain

I have 10" mini apes on my 2010 fat boy lo, I changed mine out because of a reach problem since I'm only 5'1", I haven't rode it much since changing them, except around the dealership lot, its in storage now at the dealership, I have pictures in my profile, if you can't open them, let me know, I'll send you pics, I also have mustache engine guards.

Old 12-28-2009 | 01:01 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Question is not how high you want your apes but how much pb are they going to give you.

IMO you first need to find out where you want your hands to be when seated in your normal riding position. Have someone measure the pb, rise and width for you.

Then go to a site such as wild1 and find the bars that will give you what you want.

You're going to be putting alot of work and money into the job so do your very best to get the right bars the first time.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 12-28-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2009 | 01:32 PM
rayvrwc
6th Gear

I had the same desire, and learned that it's all about the seat, not necessarily the size of the bars. I wanted to have my arms still have a slight downward angle when I gripped the handlebars, because I wanted the blood flow to not be an issue. So, I sat on my bike, held my arms out with a little downward angle, and had my service manager measure the height from where the handlebars would attach to the fork. We decided on 12 inch bars, because there is a riser coming out of the fork too, which ended up being a total of 14 inches. It's perfect, and I can steer very well. Also, I'm told some States will give you a ticket if your grips are over your shoulder length, and I certainly don't want that problem. Figure on spending around $1000 for everything if you need the labor done. You'll need new cables, and they can be expensive depending on the look you want. But, I would not change a thing. I'm very glad I made the switch because I feel much safer steering and enjoy riding.

Old 12-28-2009 | 05:34 PM
TX Lo Life
Cruiser

I have 14's in black.. Love it.. The Lo needs bars. I know the bike was intended to catch the vertically challenged market but if that's not an issue bars are the best thing you can do to it. With apes you can ride in a more comfortable position. I've been a drag bar guy for years and skeptical of apes. I will never go back to a drag bar. I love these things. Don't be afraid to do the job yourself. It's gravy. Shops around here wanted 700 bucks. I spent 60 on a shop manual and dove in.

Old 12-30-2009 | 08:59 PM
Bonzo27524
|
Cruiser
Default Custom Bars

Checked out a local custom bike shop today and they can make me any size ape and even have the ends of the bars turned more straight out. I am seriously thinking about having them to build me a set. I can get them chromed or podwer coated. Not sure which I would go with.

Old 12-31-2009 | 02:11 PM
bigaluk
Cruiser

i have a pair of bars from the softail custom, powdercoated black.

Attached Thumbnails Handlebars for 2010 FB Lo-009.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009 | 04:36 PM
murlsquirl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TX Lo Life
I have 14's in black.. Love it.. The Lo needs bars. I know the bike was intended to catch the vertically challenged market but if that's not an issue bars are the best thing you can do to it. With apes you can ride in a more comfortable position. I've been a drag bar guy for years and skeptical of apes. I will never go back to a drag bar. I love these things. Don't be afraid to do the job yourself. It's gravy. Shops around here wanted 700 bucks. I spent 60 on a shop manual and dove in.

If I had a Lo, it would want it to look like that. I think the 14's look perfect on that bike. Check this thread out for some better pictures....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...fatboy-lo.html

Old 01-01-2010 | 02:02 AM
Heritage632
Tourer

12.5" Wild 1 Chubbys on my Heritage and my hands are just under shoulder height. Best mod I ever did (Mustang seat a real close second).

Steve

Old 01-01-2010 | 12:07 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

14" Burly Brand 39" wide APES....Black

Quick Reply: Handlebars for 2010 FB Lo