Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG decision to make fellas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

A couple of my riding friends have apes. I have ridden with the 16's and the 18"'s and find teh difference to be very minimal. At 6'1" it seems that 18"'s are the logical choice.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:15 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

The 18s will look a little better. No surprise...the pics sort of comfirm this.

If you are going to push them that far forward, I would go with 16s. Athough if you are going to do a road trip, you could always pull them back a few inches. If you look at my album, you will see I have my 16s pretty much in line with my forks. This is because of wanting comfort on road trips. I can lay back on a t-bag sitting on the passenger seat and reach the bars easily. However, now that I have an Ultra, I should push the apes forward a few inches and don't use the Softail for trips anymore.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Chopper Dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go 18's and if you go Carlini's you'll be patting yourself on the back... I took the liberty in calling HCC for you and I spoke with Chris who quoted me out a set of 18 inch Carlini Flyin in Apes, chrome controls, and cables plus the wiring ran through the bars for $ 934 out the gate. He also stated that all you would have to do is buy grips and mirrors everything else would be essentially bolt on ready in the kit. I hope this influences your decision to go with the 18's. Believe me when I tell they are the best. I'm 6 foot 4 and I love em. I have the 18 inch Carlini. Also you want to go with 1.25 since the center section is stepped down to a 1 inch and it's knurled while the 1.50 are not stepped down and they are not knurled. Hope this helps you.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM
autobred
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballsout
Some new developments... A buddy of mine just got some 16" Chubby's that he had ordered, but not installed yet. We took a couple of pics to get a feel for where 16s or 18s might be. The lower pics are with the bars sitting just in front of the risers (close to where they would mount). And the other pics are of the bars on top of the risers (probably closer to where 18s would be). Seems 16s would keep my shoulders more inline. Anyone ride with their hands above the shoulders that high? Is it still comfortable on the longer trips?

16s in front of the risers (actual 16" apes)
Attachment 86221 Attachment 86222

16s on top of the risers (probably more like 18" apes)
Attachment 86223 Attachment 86224
IMHO... by the time you set it in place and pulled back to where you want it (16") likely you will be at shoulder height and flying beneath the radar especially if youre into bar hopping ;-)
But if youre not.. hell, you only live once go big!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Heritage632
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I actually like the look of the 16" for you better. Just think the 18" are too high and being from NJ myself, I know from experience that you may get hassled by the local PD.Seems like a headache waiting to happen. JMHO.

Steve

Old 01-01-2010, 05:58 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on your pics...I think the 16s look better . The 18s just look a bit to..."over the top" .

Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Ballsout
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the input fellas. My latest challenge has been trying to get in touch with HCC. Ive called several times over the past week... it goes to voice mail, and the mailbox is full and not accepting messages. Ive emailed Robert directly letting him know that I am interested in purchasing a kit but and left him my number... no response.

I wanted to take advantage of the "Free Shipping til Jan 1st" Holiday Promo that they had going on, but that time has passed. Not to thrilled with the comunication efforts... and I havent even spent any money yet!