Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG decision to make fellas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:53 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I say Yep . 18s other wise you'll be sayin , I wish I went with the 18s

Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballsout
Since the bars reduce down to 1" can the stock risers and clamps be used?

Yes! Risers and controls will work. Cables and brake line will need replaced but will come with the HCC kit. If you get their internally wired kit, all you'll need is brake fluid and tranny formula (to replace what you lose when you take the clutch cover off). Some folks use new crimp pins on the wires for the factory harness. I cut the OE plug off and soldered onto the new wires (color coded). If you go that route, add shrink tubing to the grocery list. The beer and jagermeister shots are clouding my memory a bit, but I think that's all. Definitely let us know if you run into any snags with the install! This board is full of people that can share their knowledge and experience if you run into any trouble!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Ballsout
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh this board is a wealth of knowledge Id never want to put a price tag on... and the nice people to give it.

So i was just out in the garage broom sticking again, lol. But I noticed something interesting. I popped off one of my stock fat boy handlebar clamps and noticed that the stock bars DO NOT reduce from 1 1/4" to 1"... meaning I would need to pick up some type of 1" diameter riser and clamp set-up to accept the new bars. Something from Wild 1 or similar I would imagine. Anyone else run into the issue?

Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Ballsout
Cruiser

Or get something like this instead?

http://wild1inc.com/orderWO806.html#

Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ballsout
Or get something like this instead?

http://wild1inc.com/orderWO806.html#
I'm working on putting 14 inch Wild 1's on my 09 Fat Boy. I thought about going with the adapter you listed above but wasn't sure how well it would work. I would think it would be fine. I went with HD 1 inch risers instead. Ends up being close to the same cost.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know if it will affect your decision but will you ride the bike in any states that don't allow bars above the shoulders. My sons WG is fine in CA but when we went through AZ he got stopped. Just something to consider if it means anything to your situation. Also you might want to hang out at a large harley dealer on a saturday and see if you can test sit on a bike with 16s or 18s.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Ballsout
Cruiser

Im not to concerned over the height rule but good call on that. Another great call was heading over to a dealer. Im gonna wonder around 1 today and see if i can find some bikes to compare.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of nice info here. A couple other items in the decision of the height of the bars are:

1. The seat. Different seats move the rider around to different positions - high, low, forward, back - keep this in mind.

2. Foot controls. I understand you have a Fat Boy, so I'm "***"uming floorboards. That plays a factor when people are comparing to forwards and extended forwards.

3. Risers. When someone says "just run a 2" riser to make 16" bar height into 18" bar height", it doesn't add up. You have to run 2" over what your current riser height is to make that difference. Pullback risers are another story also.

When I had my custom bars built, Billy (BRCustoms) suggested the broomstick to me. I went out 5 or 6 times hold the broomstick and getting the measurements and coming up with an average before ordering. The bars were perfect.

Good luck with your quest!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:10 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I have 16s on my Deluxe and love them. I have taken trips and they do not fatigue my shoulders or arms at all. Although 18s may look a little better, I have no desire to go any higher. Oh, and a local state trooper did pull me over and issue a written warning on the bars. He then went on to visually inspect my exhaust and give me a verbal warning on those. I wasn't doing anything to prompt being pulled over. It was the apes. That was 2 summers ago and I haven't had it happen since. Check my album for pics of Chubby 16s. Best of luck.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really depends on the seat height. 16's on my Street Bob and 16's on my buddy's Road King are two different animals because of the seat height.

The broomstick method works.

IMO avoid putting apes on a tall riser. Looks like youre trying to get away with something.