Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here...Deluxe vs. Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:27 AM
MoFutureDoc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here...Deluxe vs. Heritage Classic

Newbie here. Have a few years of dirt bike experience. Deployed in Iraq right now and saving up the cash to get my first HD. Looking to take the basic riders course to brush up and then buy my first Harley when I return. I started looking at the wide glide and low rider but now I think I've got it narrowed down to the Deluxe and the Heritage Classic. Like the softail family looks and the vintage looks of these two really catch my eye. Will ride to and from work in the city plus 2-3 100 mile trips each month and 2-3 500-700 mile trips each year. I'm 5'11' 175. Shouldn't have a problem putting feet on the ground with either and thinking the Deluxe might actually need to take the seat back and/or push pegs forward. I have heard nothing but great things about the Deluxe as far as handling and like the slimmed down look. On the other hand, the Heritage Classic is definitely the most bang for the buck as far as accessories included to go for those longer trips and the occassional two-up rides and looks great with the bags and pillion off too. Also heard that the Heritage is more comfortable on the long hauls. Could use any input from experience.

On a side note- I'm only 24. Shouldn't I be looking at a V-rod or a Night Train. Haha. I guess they say you gotta go with what you like and those vintage looks just blow me away. I'm sure the price-tag will too though when I get it.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:56 AM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Default RE: Newbie here...Deluxe vs. Heritage Classic

I was faced with deciding on either the Deluxe or the Heritage Classic a few months ago. Went to the dealer and sat on a Deluxe first, not knowing about the Heritage Classic. To be honest, I was stunned by how well the Deluxe felt under me. I'm 5'10" and forward controls as well as hand controls were very comfortable. The Deluxe just felt right plan and simple. Then, my Brother-in-law suggested the Heritage Classic after I told him about the Deluxe and what I planned on adding. So, I sat on a Heritage Classic. Not much difference in comfort other than the Heritage Classic is about an inch higher in the seat. With my budget, the Heritage Classic was better for me. Found an 05 and went with it. Either one, you can't go wrong. Both are nice rides.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:58 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First a Sincere Thank You for all that you all are doing for us and our country.

Welcome to the Forum
from
The Show - Me State!
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
MoFutureDoc
Novice

RDKingRider- where are you from inb Missouri? Will be returning next summer to the Show-Me state. Grew up in Hannibal, MO, America's hometown and host to more than it's share of H.O.G. rally's over the years. Will be heading to Kirksville for medical school and trying to stay out of the hospital myself with my new Harley

Old 07-16-2006, 01:26 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: MoFutureDoc

RDKingRider- where are you from inb Missouri? Will be returning next summer to the Show-Me state. Grew up in Hannibal, MO, America's hometown and host to more than it's share of H.O.G. rally's over the years. Will be heading to Kirksville for medical school and trying to stay out of the hospital myself with my new Harley

Not far from you buddy, Columbia, Tiger Country. Bunch of us here enjoy the ride to Hannibal. Wife and I rode and visited downtown Hannibal Memorial Day Weekend. Kirksville is a nice ride to from here. Will be attending the H.O.G in St. Charles this year, looking forward to it. Give me a holler next year and will meet up and I will buy the first round.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:31 AM
MoFutureDoc
Novice

My brother is in Columbia at the MU medical school. It's such a nice area and he loves it. He's on a metric right now and he'll be very jealous of my new bike but I'll let him take it out on a beautiful HWY 79 ride once in a while. I look forward to taking you up on that round. I could use one right now!

Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
softail2005
Road Captain

I have about 5K on my Deluxe and I love it. But...I am spending a lot of money to make it a better ride for long hauls. The origional seat looks good but is only good for the short hops. Butt gets tired real fast. The bags that go with the Deluxe hold less than half of the space in the Heirtage.

I rented a Heirtage in Kauai this year and liked it a lot. My buddy in LA has a heirtage and rode it all the way to Oregon without much trouble. He did put on a Harley optional seat with a backrest.

The Heirtage gives you the options that you have to pay for yourself on the Deluxe. Windshield, bags, better seat and a much better rear passenger seat. Deluxe is low to the ground and you will drag the frame, scrape the front floorboards, and the rear of the lower muffler. Have done all three many, many times on club rides. But the deluxe looks cooler in my opinion. The heirtage is much better for the long hauls.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:55 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

I am 6' 1" and weigh 210 lbs. I don't have any problem getting comfortable with my deluxe. Didn't move anything forward. I think it all comes down to taste. My wife rides on it with me and no complaints in the comfort department.

Have you seen the Deluxe in person?

One note on the Deluxe: With stock exhaust you aren't going to get saddlebags that have much carrying space.

If you like the way the Heritage looks get it. I dont' care for the seat or saddle bags on the heritage classic so it wasn't even in the running of possible bikes for me. But if you think it looks on par with the Deluxe this should be an easy decision.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:49 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

deluxe is a sportier look which is what I was going for. I wasn't concerned with the functionality (bags, etc)---I was going for the looks. I bought mine in Iraq also. Start looking around for interest rates now. If you're there from Sept-Dec......the rates will drop. Look at Pentagon and USAA........they love us military folks and approve online applications in minutes. I got about 4% on mine Dec 05. Good luck

Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 AM
MoFutureDoc
Novice

Thanks for all of the input guys. Will be back in Germany by January most likely and return to the states summer of '07 so I can purchase through the mmilitary sales program there as well.I think I am going to get a quote on buying now and waiting until I get back to Germany to see if that makes a big difference. Will probably go in and see how they feel. Also, with the '07s having the new engines I am thinking that I'll try to get one of the first '08s so that they can get the kinks out. Either that or get a better price on the '0 since they should be making way for the '08s at that time.

I like the looks of the Deluxe just a little better, and I don't see myself doing a whole lot of touring right now but in my opinion the Heritage Classic looks great loaded up or stripped down and I plan on having this bike for a long time so I like the versatility. Well looks like I just made the decision right there. That is unless I test and the Deluxe just calls to me. I think the Heritage Classic looks great in two-tone and will probably throw on a couple of white-walls to give it that old-school look for the complete package.

SFCMO- did you get to test first or just take the plunge while you were over here? The military sales program sounds great and definitely lower than any dealership can afford (or choose?) to sell for. Were you able to get under MSRP throught the program? I am a big fan of USAA. Got my car through them a couple of years ago, do most of my banking there, and with the rates the way they are I should be able to get a nice deal.