Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)

I had a complex about some of you guys and girls telling me to ditch the stock football air filter setup, so I did. I went and got this today and for about $200.00 this is my new air filter. And like always I had to do a little fabrication to get this to work with my EFI chrome cover. The backing plate had a gap between it and the cylinder for the crankcase vent screw holes so I got a piece of teflon and milled out a spacer to fill the gap. It was very simple. Well what do you think? Should I have spent more money and got the Roland Sands filter? Our will this setup do? This is my mod of the day. I placed my almost new K&N filter that fits a stock Harley canister, it came out of my bike, Its for sale in the softtail parts section here at HDFourm. Part # HD-1499

Attached Thumbnails My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)-100_0666.jpg   My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)-100_0667.jpg   My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)-100_0672.jpg   My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)-100_0676.jpg  

Last edited by Rockyriver; 12-16-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That cover is nice but also is very plain..You do enter your bike in shows so i would go with the Roland Sands or some other high flow intake. Something a little more...other than just plain. And don't forget the tuner..maybe a PCV or Thunderrmax.

Also i do notice that some guys get a little overbaoard with themes of a bike....flames, shields, skulls...ect...all on one bike.

..IMO..Just doesn't look right with a bunch of different things goen on...but thats just me.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 12-16-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
09_NightRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is plain and simple....
but sometimes that is better than complex, ornate, or fancy...

here is another thought...
you can do what many others have done, and do the 'MUDD' mod.
just cut your football canister down to a circle to fit on the top of the new filter.
looks clean and visually is smaller....
Its what I did, I think it give it an old school hot rod-ish look.
chris

Last edited by 09_NightRider; 12-16-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
That cover is nice but also is very plain..You do enter your bike in shows so i would go with the Roland Sands or some other high flow intake. Something a little more...other than just plain. And don't forget the tuner..maybe a PCV or Thunderrmax.

Also i do notice that some guys get a little overbaoard with themes of a bike....flames, shields, skulls...ect...all on one bike.

..IMO..Just doesn't look right with a bunch of different things goen on...but thats just me.

I was looking at the Roland Sands and the Performance Machine filters, however having over $400 in a filter seems high. I do'nt mind sheeling out some dough, but I set a limit at $250 for a filter system. I tried a few different ones in the past, but always went back to stock. My bike is plain and simple anyways, so the filter matches.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

i think it's perfect for your bike . simple , elegant , and chrome !

Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought that same model today and purchased a 1/4" rubber gasket that adheres to my SE air filter - it's supposed to keep the cover from shaking around and busting the bolt. I like the plain old school look and it's plenty of chrome.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bugsplat
I just bought that same model today and purchased a 1/4" rubber gasket that adheres to my SE air filter - it's supposed to keep the cover from shaking around and busting the bolt. I like the plain old school look and it's plenty of chrome.
I got the gasket also, Harley part# 29591-99

Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
My bike is plain and simple anyways.
Well Rocky have you looked at your bike lately? Its anything but plain and simple. You asked what some of us think about it and to me that intake cover looks plain on your bike...It's your bike and money and your choice..We all have very different styles/opinions...

IMHO again...Intake is a big focal spot of the motor. Ask yourself this, when you look at someone elses bike whats the first thing you look at on the motor section? #1 for me is intake...you just can't see anything inside the motor to talk about that unless the owner tells you something about it...

There are several intakes that cost around the $200.00 range...hell i bought my HD heavy breather for $175.00 shipped brand spanken new..maybe check out the drag book for ideas if you want to change that out..but why would you after just spending $200.00 for the one on there now.

Like your bike either way...Congrats on everything.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Very nice, GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!! Good-bye football!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Toy_Jon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, looks great..... good mod

Quick Reply: My new air filter chrome mod (Pictures)