Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pain in the neck Saddlebag Insert

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 09:55 AM
Yuma Jack
|
Intermediate
Unhappy Pain in the neck Saddlebag Insert

I really need your help. I have a 2007 Heritage. Instead of putting inserts in the saddlebags when I first got the bike, I waited until I dropped it. Big mistake. Now I am trying to put them in and it is a real pain. The bag that didn't get crunched went smoothly. The other one isn't. The inserts that I am using fits between the back of the bag and the leather seam. The leather just doesn't have enough give to allow the insert to fit. Is there a way to soften the leather so I can get it to fit and return the bag to the precrunch shape? Is there a better way to get it to fit? Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Old 12-16-2009 | 10:02 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Saddle Soap and hot water. you may want to also see if you can fashion a stretcher (like a shoe stretcher) out of some blocks of wood.

Or just get it good and wet with water & saddle soap, and try to push the insert in, may have to "lather, rinse, repeat" a few times.

Old 12-16-2009 | 10:28 AM
Yuma Jack
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the good advice. Would I use the saddle soap and hot water on the inside of the bag?
Would soaking the outer bottom half of the bag in a tub of hot water do the trick?

Old 12-16-2009 | 01:41 PM
SoftailSlim
Intermediate

I had to take my hand grinder with a sanding disk to shape the plastic inserts a little to get that custom fit. Where ever the bag won't stretch out, grinder magic by kay-tel! Best of luck to ya...

Old 12-17-2009 | 04:34 AM
Yuma Jack
|
Intermediate

Thanks guys. It looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Old 12-17-2009 | 04:51 AM
Chips
Road Warrior

You might try calling the company that makes the inserts and asking them for advice. I'm sure they get many calls and may offer some solutions to the prob.

I put gotsaggybags.com in mine....bags look great. It's well worth the effort.

here are some before and after pics....
http://cwedge.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...205_ioxpg-O-LB

ride safe,

Old 12-17-2009 | 05:41 AM
Yuma Jack
|
Intermediate

Your bags look great. Gotsaggybags did the trick.
The set I am trying to insert are the ones by Kamco Systems. My buddy gave them to me. He bought them for his Heritage but traded in the bike before he installed them. I sent them an email yesterday for advice. (They do not provide a phone number to call.) I have not heard back from them yet.

Old 12-17-2009 | 07:05 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Iwouldn't soak them except as a last effort. saddle soap and hot water inside and out.

Old 12-17-2009 | 07:24 AM
Yuma Jack
|
Intermediate

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a try.

Old 12-17-2009 | 12:35 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Leather BAGS

Yuma Jack, the instructions that came with leather holster calls for it to soaked with water then fitted to the gun. So as the poster said above really soak your bag with water and saddle soap and to make it flexible then insert your forms to help stretch it out. After I did my holster, it dried just fine and with some cleaner and conditioner, I use 3m's 303 stuff it looked new.

Quick Reply: Pain in the neck Saddlebag Insert