Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fresh meat with a q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 PM
CYRUS888
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fresh meat with a q's

hello everyone. im new here. been grabbing infos here and there from this website for while and you guys rock.
i guess now its my turn to start a new question that i cant seem to find the answer for...
i have a '08 fat boy 17x6 solid wheel (part # 41092-08) which im trying to convert to a 3/4" axle for a ground up build application. i have the bearings(part # 9267) but i cant seem to find the bearing spacer for it.
if the 3/4" bearing spacer doesnt exist for this wheel, what is the original bearing spacer part number for it just so i can buy one the get my machinist to copy it and bore a 3/4 hole on it instead of a 1"

im using exactly same as rear wheel

Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If I understand the question correctly the number your looking for should be 43608-00.
That's for the spacer inside the wheel between the bearings, correct?

Its not an uncommon part and is probably something they have in stock. So if your nice and ask politely, I'll bet you could get a dealer's parts guy to let you measure its overall length so you wouldn't have to buy it.
Also ask him if he has one of the older 3/4" versions so you can compare the two as I believe they were very close to the same overall length, but back in the 90's or earlier (not sure of the years) I think they might have used a 3/4" axle shaft in the bikes.
If they do and its the same, you wouldn't have to bother having your machinist make one up.

PS, looks like your making a fun ride. Good Luck and post up some more pics.
We like pics around here, lots of pics.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 12-14-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

Make darn sure your bearing preload is correct. You may have to shim or cut down a stock spacer. You can get them from any aftermarket catolog or most independant shops carry them. The bearings need to be set at a certain preload to ensure they aren't to tight and get burned up or to loose and the bike will wander. Cool looking project.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
CYRUS888
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
If I understand the question correctly the number your looking for should be 43608-00.
That's for the spacer inside the wheel between the bearings, correct?

Its not an uncommon part and is probably something they have in stock. So if your nice and ask politely, I'll bet you could get a dealer's parts guy to let you measure its overall length so you wouldn't have to buy it.
Also ask him if he has one of the older 3/4" versions so you can compare the two as I believe they were very close to the same overall length, but back in the 90's or earlier (not sure of the years) I think they might have used a 3/4" axle shaft in the bikes.
If they do and its the same, you wouldn't have to bother having your machinist make one up.

PS, looks like your making a fun ride. Good Luck and post up some more pics.
We like pics around here, lots of pics.
that bearing number is for a 16x3 wheel
ive been to HD dealer a few times and they couldnt figure it out either.

Originally Posted by MCSarge
Make darn sure your bearing preload is correct. You may have to shim or cut down a stock spacer. You can get them from any aftermarket catolog or most independant shops carry them. The bearings need to be set at a certain preload to ensure they aren't to tight and get burned up or to loose and the bike will wander. Cool looking project.
that is the reason why i want to get the factory spacer for it so i can get my machinist to copy of that dimensions with a 3/4" bore