Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire alignment with bike centerline – problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
SalsaNChips
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire alignment with bike centerline – problem?

The other day I was re-installing the backrest on the rear fender braces and noticed I could just barely get my fingers between the fender and tire on the left side of the bike. The right side had plenty of room.

After installing the brace I stood back and looked at the rear tire and noticed it is about ½ inch offset to the left side of the bike centerline. That is, following the tire centerline up, it is off to the left slightly when compared to the license plate bracket and the rear fender.

I went back and looked at a picture of the rear of the bike when it was sitting in the driveway of the guy I bought it from, several months ago. This was when it had the original Dunlops on it (since replaced with Avons). Can’t tell for certain, but it looks like it had the same condition then (just didn’t notice it).

I had Progressive 422’s installed a couple months ago which lowered the rear about an inch, so that is why I am noticing it now and not earlier.

The bike rides, handles just fine. However, bothers me. Thinking it might be a normal – just the way the rear swing arm is situated.

Thinking of taking it in to the local HD shop and have an alignment done just to be sure. Wanted to check here first to see if this is something to be concerned about.

Pic below sort of shows what I’m talking about. I added the red line to show approx. where the centerline of the rear tire is when extended upward.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I would take it in....although I had similiar issues recently with the axle adjusters. But Im not sure if thats the problem especially with all of the mods you mentioned in your post.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default offset

I am no expert on the subject but depending on who worked on the bike other than yourself a lot of strange things happen. Sometimes its the spacers. I had mine on the inside and when I got the bike back from a shop they were on the outside. I finally found me a shop that knows what there doing. They told me that my rear was out of alignment and it was wearing my rotor in a strange way they used a laser to set it straight. I also told them to check my wheel bearings and come to find out they were not shimmed properly they should be no more then three thousand play. Mine were nine and seven. There are far to many people who think they know what there doing when it comes to bikes my bike now handles better than ever.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like I remember reading sevral bikes are like this from the factory. I know on my 05 Fatboy the rear tire sets to the left a little (more clearance between the tire and fender on the right side). Some guys machine the caliper and change the spacer to accomodate a wider tire. Do a search and see if that helps.
Did a quick search and came up with several posts. This is just one of them.
wheel & tire not aligned with fender

Last edited by harleyheaven; 12-07-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Salsa, you are good to go. That is how it came from the factory. You will find all of the Softails are the same. Next time you are at a bike night or gathering, check them all out. Not sure of WHY HD did it, but as long as your belt is running straight, you will not have any problems at all.

Go ride and be safe!

Jim

Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

The rear wheel is offset to compensate for the primary so it can run straight, if that makes sense.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
dkyork
Tourer

My rear tire is dead center with the rear fender.

regards,

Dale

Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
SalsaNChips
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. As I suspected, looks like a "feature" courtesy HD MoCo. If it hadn't been for the new tire and lowering it an inch, I would never have noticed it.

I might try using some washers under the right fender brace to shim it up a bit, see if I can push the fender a quarter inch to the left to center it up. Especially if I want to run anything larger than a 150 rear tire (it'll rub otherwise).

That had been bugging me for a while. No easy fix but glad to know it's not a real problem (and I'm not the only one ).

Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
96 WG
Advanced

Buddy at work was just telling me the other day his 04 fat boy is that way, he called HD and was told it was normal.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Deuce55
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that if the rear wheel is not in the correct allignment you would have serious problems with the belt and the rear pully.

Quick Reply: Rear tire alignment with bike centerline – problem?