Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank lift and seat mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank lift and seat mod

Ok here is what I have done so far. BTW I'm riding an 08 Softail Custom. Until I get the funds for the seat I want this will work. I took it off, peeled back the leather and took some foam padding out and it is much more comfortable. While it was off I realized how big a pain in the a$$ it is unbolting the "queen" part of the seat from the sissy bar. So I just sawed the sucker in half. After I did that I realized that my PCIII would fit in a small gap that is under the queen part of the seat....just sits right there and works great. The King part of the seat sits just fine and I have no problems with it sliding around while I'm riding. Best of all....it saves a little time unplugging the battery when I'm tinkering with my bike. The only problems is security...it would be way too easy for someone to take my PCIII....if they knew that my seat was like that. Any ideas? I've put on about a thousand miles with my seat this way and no problems so far.
Now for my tank lift. I read up a great way to do one here...https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post5174428 post number 1292. Works awesome and was just a few bucks!! My tank is lifted approx three inches and I couldn't be happier. I really like how the lines of the bike seem to flow more....nowI need to slam the rear (lmao) and I'd be happier. Just need to clean up the wiring. The only thing I don't like is the big gap in the front of the tank where the frame used to rest. I saw some where on the Forums a guy that cut up some chrome mudflaps to place on his ride as accents....I'll probably do that once I buy them....just gonna try putting them on the front of the tank and have them held down by the console.
Lemme know what you guys think....could really use some more tips/pointers.

Attached Thumbnails Tank lift and seat mod-100_1734.jpg   Tank lift and seat mod-100_1735.jpg   Tank lift and seat mod-100_1736.jpg   Tank lift and seat mod-100_1731.jpg   Tank lift and seat mod-100_1737.jpg  

Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
mpmillion
Tourer

Crap...I meant to put this in the DIY part....feel free to move it if you want to.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. good job man

Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

nice job and good work..

Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 AM
SalsaNChips
Tourer

Originally Posted by mpmillion
I saw some where on the Forums a guy that cut up some chrome mudflaps to place on his ride as accents....I'll probably do that once I buy them....just gonna try putting them on the front of the tank and have them held down by the console.
You did your tank lift similar to how I did mine (a 1 1/2" lift). You can get nice looking hardware at Home Depot; I went with a chrome castle nut and painted the lift hardware gloss black to match the frame.

Re: the gap at the front of the tank -- bothered me as well so I cut up an old leather tool bag to make an extension for the existing rubber seal. Here it is before installing the tank:

Used tie-wraps to "stitch" it onto the rubber flap on the top and sides. Works and looks great.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:09 PM
mpmillion
Tourer

Originally Posted by SalsaNChips
You did your tank lift similar to how I did mine (a 1 1/2" lift). You can get nice looking hardware at Home Depot; I went with a chrome castle nut and painted the lift hardware gloss black to match the frame.

Re: the gap at the front of the tank -- bothered me as well so I cut up an old leather tool bag to make an extension for the existing rubber seal. Here it is before installing the tank:

Used tie-wraps to "stitch" it onto the rubber flap on the top and sides. Works and looks great.
I like that idea for the gap...wouldn't have to put anything on the tank. Pretty good. I took off the rubber sealer cause it was driving me nuts. Is it necessary? Also that plastic that held the connectors in came off. I just zip tied everything to the frame and it works pretty well. Thanks for the input.