Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 08:21 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

I don't use V-Twin oil in my motorcyle. Is my motor doomed? Guess my warranty is void?
Whats going to happen to it? How many miles will it go before it blows up? Please help!!

Old 11-17-2009 | 10:41 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Originally Posted by conroskie
I'm no expert but I tried Amsoil but switched to Mobile 1 V-twin when they started stabbing me big time for shipping. I like them both but I can get Mobil 1 at my nearest autozone. Now I run Mobile 1 in everything.
Same here, and for the same reason.
But I only use the 20/50w in the engine and primary, I put Mobil 1 75/90w gear oil in the tranny.
Its really too soon to do it, but this winter I may switch that to their 90/140w, just to see if its as good as some guys say.

Old 11-24-2009 | 08:18 PM
99Sportster
Advanced

I've been reading lots of feedback and haven't seen anyone give feedback on the HD Syn3 20/50. I was at the HD dealer last week and asked them (just to kill time) what oils I should use and the guy handed me a bottle of HD SYN3 20/50 and said to use it in EVERYTHING.

Anyone out there got yay's or nay's on that recommendation?

Old 11-24-2009 | 08:51 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 99Sportster
I've been reading lots of feedback and haven't seen anyone give feedback on the HD Syn3 20/50. I was at the HD dealer last week and asked them (just to kill time) what oils I should use and the guy handed me a bottle of HD SYN3 20/50 and said to use it in EVERYTHING.

Anyone out there got yay's or nay's on that recommendation?

I'm shocked he would tell you to use something he flogs , did you expect him to tell you to buy the same chit at Auto Zone for a cheaper price>

Old 11-24-2009 | 09:33 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default Other Sheep

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Mobil 1 V-Twin in motor. Mobil 1 75w/140 in tranny. B&M Trick Shift in primary.
Wondering, where did you come up with the B&M trick shift idea? Ran it in the '70's in
my hemi torqueflite but didn't know HD guys used it their primary. Interesting - has
special wet clutch additives. Do you have any trouble finding neutral? Tnx in advance.

Old 11-25-2009 | 08:34 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by Randler
whats the best oil to use for the 3 chambers ? 2007 96b motor
I tried the HD 20-50 syn in all three and found out the engine likes it, but 20-50 is not right for the trans or primary, but the trans likes a Drag Specilties 85-140 Gear Oil, and Drag Specilties Primary oil for big twins (Brand name not important, this is my preference). Since using these oils I have noticed the clutch is smoother to engage and the trans is smoother and quieter in 5th gear. I would like to run the same oil all three as Harley Davidson states, but it just don't work right to me. IMHO

Old 11-25-2009 | 05:21 PM
99Sportster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I'm shocked he would tell you to use something he flogs , did you expect him to tell you to buy the same chit at Auto Zone for a cheaper price>
As I mentioned before, I really had no expectations. I was just killing time while they were looking up parts.

I use Mobile1 products and I've been pretty happy with it. What I find slightly irritating (not in any way pointing fingers at you), is when folks start to roll their eyes at new topics if oil suggestions, ...with the "here we go again" attitude. Fact is, many people are knew owners, others decide to start maintaining their own bikes to save a few bucks and as for me, I'm always on the lookout for a better product.

So my question is, is it really that hard just to type in a few charactors now and again? Some of us don't live on forums, others have it blocked at work.

Anyway, for those who provided feedback. Thank you very much and I hope to be in a position to return the favor.

Cheers fellow riders!

Old 11-25-2009 | 11:39 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
Wondering, where did you come up with the B&M trick shift idea? Ran it in the '70's in
my hemi torqueflite but didn't know HD guys used it their primary. Interesting - has
special wet clutch additives. Do you have any trouble finding neutral? Tnx in advance.
I had used it in my El Camino a few years ago and liked how it improved the shifting. Read about using it in the primary here on HDF and decided to give it a try. No problems finding neutral or any other gear at any speed or stopped. In the mornings if I work the clutch lever a few times the clunck from dropping it into first pretty much goes away. I think the clutch friction plates like it.