Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Wide tire Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009 | 10:02 PM
Tom84FXST
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Cool DIY Wide tire Kit?

This post is a test to see if anyone is interested. I have a 1984 FXST that I bought as a "basket case" and completely rebuilt from frame up...15 years ago. I just went an picked up an antique tag for it, and decided my rebuild was looking a little tired, so I am going to install a wide tire kit and freshen it up. One problem...they don't make a kit that fits an 84. 84-85's were 4 speed chain drives,and when they went to the belt drive they widened the frame almost 1/2 inch to make room. Everything on this bike is basically "prototype" and all of it was changed by 86.

So start with one 1984 FXST that basically is a complete shovel drive-train with EVO jugs and heads.

Here is the biggest problem, the inside measurement at the pivot point on the frame is 9 7/8

But the outside measurement at the pivot point on the wide swingarm is 10 3/8 ....so I am going to have to cut something

MY PLAN is to move this piece to get the correct measurement. I SHOULD be able to cut this piece loose, tap it in till I get the correct distance,(it is in a machined hole so it should stay lined up) and bolt it in the frame to tack weld it in place. Well you know what they stay about "best laid plans" When modifying a motorcycle every solution creates a new problem, and this holds true here. The 87-99 kit I am using has a 1" offset kit for the primary/trans, which is too much offset if I don't widen the frame to 87 up specs. I really don't want to cut the frame, but if my trusty Lufkin is correct I should be able to offset everything .750 since I am keeping the chain.

Oh check out the antique tag...if you weren't feeling old enough the first softails are now antique
To make things more fun I am going to install a wheel off of a 2007 softail and a "sprocket brake", because I wouldn't want this to be too easy. I am taking the bike completely to the frame and starting from scratch. So if anyone is interested in watching this circus, I will take pictures all the way and show the correct way to line all this stuff up, or completely screw up a perfectly good bike...either way it should be fun to watch.

Ride Safe

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 11-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2009 | 06:32 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior

Can not wait to see the finished product. Good luck. Its gonna look good. I would have wen't bigger in the back but it's you're bike. Good Luck Chief!!

Old 11-15-2009 | 08:55 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Looks good and thunk you are right and I too would go the same way. Should be real cool when done and would like to see how the progress goes

Old 11-15-2009 | 08:55 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master

Thats cool man, always like seeing tech pictures. Good Luck

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:00 AM
SpyderTB
Tourer

good luck with it all. it will look great.

Old 11-15-2009 | 01:39 PM
Outlaw44
Intermediate

I'm interested to see how you get it all to work out! Keep us updated with pictures and your thoughts/problems/solutions along the way. Love seeing entire projects like this!

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2009 | 07:43 PM
Tom84FXST
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Thumbs up

Update Beautiful weather here today...hard not to go riding but got to get this thing rolling.

you will notice the older bikes have no frame horns...just solid struts like aftermarket frames. This is good for 2 reasons, one I don't have to cut them off.

And two I can remove the whole rear fender assembly buy just removing 4 bolts.

Continuing to remove assemblies without taking everything apart you can move along quite quickly.

Now I am where I can get some real measurements. to my surprise with some minor trimming and changing the way the pivot bearings are mounted..it bolts right up.

Now I am not out of the woods yet...since I did not cut the frame and move everything to the left 3/8" like newer softails...the shock mount does not line up. I will have to cut it off and move it over but that is minor. But I had a good day and it will not take long to mock this up.

I like it already...till next time

Old 11-15-2009 | 07:49 PM
Wallaby
Club Member

Big job, but will be cool once it's done. Even though I love old stock bikes, the 130mm rear razor blade is way skinny looking.

Old 11-15-2009 | 08:29 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer

looking good. are you keeping the 530 chain? or going to the new harley ultra skinny belts that they are using today?

Old 11-29-2009 | 03:09 PM
Tom84FXST
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Question Updated Pics

Well I am back to work on this project...wanted to be further along this weekend but UPS lost my bearing puller/installer, so I can't change the 1 inch bearings for the 3/4 to get some good measurements. I built an offset plate for the transmission and got it mounted so I can start the "dry" assembly.

Now as you can see in the last pic the shock mount does not line up. So now I am at a crossroad and I want some opinions before I continue. I have to start cutting and welding to go any further...I just have to decide what. The 84 frame is 1/2 inch narrower than 86 up because of the chain drive. (That I am keeping SpyderTB) So I can cut the shock mount off and move it over to line it up. That will be easy, BUT I would have to offset the rear tire in the frame 1/2 inch to get everything to line up. From evrything I read, Harley and numerous bike builders do this all the time with no ill effects. I have built many bikes and have always put the wheels center of the frame. Every bike I have set-up, you can take your hands off the bars at speed and it will go straight for days. This offset thing bothers me. My other option is to cut the frame and make it the same width as the bikes the swingarm was made for. If I do that... 0 offset everything is in the middle... but if I ever want to restore it back to stock it would be a lot more work. It is a fairly rare bike and I can see putting it back dead stock down the road...I still have all the parts...even the stock seat looks just like it did in 84...except for the dust. Opinions?

Quick Reply: DIY Wide tire Kit?