Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Wide tire Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009 | 04:58 PM
Tom84FXST
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default UPDATE: New Pics

Well...since the overwhelming response was to cut the frame ....thats what I did today. I got measurements off my friends softail and tried to put the kickout in the frame in the same place the factory did. I built a jig to locate the pivot point and to keep the frame from springing open when I cut the side plate off. I will let the pics tell the rest of the story. Till next time

Old 12-05-2009 | 07:19 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer

very nice fab work and well documented

Old 12-05-2009 | 07:57 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Dude thats a great job on fabricating. Well done and Bravo.
Keep us posted. Its Mods like these that I really like to see on here.

Old 12-20-2009 | 03:37 PM
Tom84FXST
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Thumbs up UPDATE: New Pics

Well I an slowly but surely knocking this thing out. I have mocked up everything AGAIN and after the frame cut, everything will line up fine with the wheel in the center of the frame like it should be. This weekend I mocked up the sprocket brake, and welded the bracket for the brake onto the swingarm. I also had to modify one tube to match the frame cut. I also had to remove the caliper bracket on the other side of the frame, since it is an eyesore with no caliper attached to it. As you will see this really cleans up the right side of the bike and will look really sweet when I save up for some trick wheels. Next weekend I will strip it down completely so I can paint the frame. After I paint the frame I will detail the final assembly so you can see how I get everything lined up. Later

Old 07-21-2012 | 03:11 AM
oneinthewind
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
Thats cool man, always like seeing tech pictures. Good Luck
"Its better to be dead & cool, then alive & uncool". Chrome Dome Davee. Get real, I just survived a collision and when your dead you're not cool, your COLD. Let me guess your liv with moms and stopped growing when you became 8.
Dude! and no dissen but nothin more "uncool" than letting your ego kill you and possibly some inocent for the sake of vanity.

Old 07-22-2012 | 03:41 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oneinthewind
"Its better to be dead & cool, then alive & uncool". Chrome Dome Davee. Get real, I just survived a collision and when your dead you're not cool, your COLD. Let me guess your liv with moms and stopped growing when you became 8.
Dude! and no dissen but nothin more "uncool" than letting your ego kill you and possibly some inocent for the sake of vanity.
what a clown ! you open a 3 year old thread to make ridiculous comments on something a member didnt even say in his comments just a quote line under his sig pic!! sheesh, you must have no mates and be difficult to be around! lighten up!

Old 07-22-2012 | 03:52 AM
Innigray
Intermediate

LOL, i wonder what the finished bike looked like ?

Old 07-22-2012 | 07:01 AM
Tom84FXST
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Innigray
LOL, i wonder what the finished bike looked like ?

Before I installed a 250 kit:

Old 07-22-2012 | 07:23 AM
quan00
Cruiser

Dude that bike looks SICK with that wide tire!!! You do great work! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-22-2012 | 08:01 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Tom84FXST, this is a truly AMAZING thread and your skill level and ingenuity is incredible. I have seen pictures of your Softail many times over the years and simply had no idea the work you put into it. Kudo's man.

That being said, I can only repeat what kiwideuce said. Why the HELL would some one reopen a three year old thread just to rag on a members sig line. Baffling way to **** on what one of the best build threads on the forum.

Quick Reply: DIY Wide tire Kit?