Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo system installed on my Fatboy, I don't need a bagger

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Stereo system installed on my Fatboy, I don't need a bagger

I have been digging for a stereo system for a long time, don't like the batwing nor the handlebar mounted speakers. I do have detachable saddle bags, that's perfect! I bought a JVC deck from Bestbuy $99cad, it comes with remote and aux in, good for ipod. I bought 2 4"speakers from my buddy, he is a car stereo installer, he said the Hertz made the best 4" speakers, I can crank it quite loud. Base on his knowledge, I trust him lol. Here are some pictures to share, job is done in an hour, nothing hard. I tried to play a cd on one speaker, crank volume up to 28, I am impressed, the quality is really good. I can't imagine how 2 speakers sound, I am gonna throw the bags on my bike in a few days and do a youtube video. Someone is gonna laugh at me, cup holder and music on the go, why the hell not? LOL

Old 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what makes you comfie

Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty tight...what bout riding in the rain?? Just get a sock for it?? Let us know how it works out!!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:49 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I haven't put the water-repellent speaker grills on, they are on back order, the speaker itself has water-repellent cone, I should have no issue. I seldom ride in the rain unless I have no choice.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope it works well for you, but I can't imagine doing that personally. It just looks like a future nightmare. Shorts after dropping other stuff in your bags, not having enough room in your bags anymore etc...etc....

Old 11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Those look like really nice speakers. If you can, record the vid from the drivers seat, like where your ears are when riding. Curious how the sound will carry over your pipes and wind noise.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

First I was looking at marine speakers, they are really big, the back of the speakers take up another 5 inches of space. These Hertz speakers are not the cheap knock off, they sound decent, $120cad/pair isn't a killer. You know I am just taking a chance here, don't even know whether the speakers are gonna cover the exhaust or not. By cranking up the volume, I feel confident they are loud enough to cover the exhaust. To be honest, I rode my friend's street glide the other day, he has after market 5 1/4 speakers, the exhaust is quite loud, it just break even lol. As you know I put my bike in storage, have to wait till a sunny day to ride around my house for testing. I promise a youtube video to be posted soon, cheers!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I know what you mean bud, you have a lot of space and music on the go, don't have to do anything like I do. Come to thinking, my detachable saddle bags are small, I only carry rain gear, tire repair kit and a few drinks on a long trip, never filled up my bags. The back of the speakers take 2 inches of space, the deck takes another 2.5x7inches, that doesn't bother me at all. When the day comes and I feel like riding a touring, that's another story but I am not ready yet. Ride on a touring vs ride in a softail In love with my Fatty

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Hope it works well for you, but I can't imagine doing that personally. It just looks like a future nightmare. Shorts after dropping other stuff in your bags, not having enough room in your bags anymore etc...etc....

Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
I know what you mean bud, you have a lot of space and music on the go, don't have to do anything like I do. Come to thinking, my detachable saddle bags are small, I only carry rain gear, tire repair kit and a few drinks on a long trip, never filled up my bags. The back of the speakers take 2 inches of space, the deck takes another 2.5x7inches, that doesn't bother me at all. When the day comes and I feel like riding a touring, that's another story but I am not ready yet. Ride on a touring vs ride in a softail In love with my Fatty
I don't think you took what I said as a slight, but just in case you did, I didn't mean it to offend you. I was just thinking about what would happen if I threw a pair of gloves in the bags without paying too much attention, would they possibly pull a wire out of the speaker or something like that??? I know what you're saying about riding your Fat Boy too. I've got one of those as well and love it, but I have one bike for one thing, and another bike for something else. I never tried to "crossover" with a bike. I hope you can hear it and that it works well for you. It's hard to believe that someone can't hear the stock stereo even with an aftermarket exhaust on. I've got Rinehart true duals, and even at highway speeds I can hear my stereo just fine. That doesn't mean that I'm not still considering going with an aftermarket amp and speakers, because louder and clearer is always better!

Anyway, rock on with your bad self!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Good for you. I put some music on my Deluxe, and we enjoy the music,,, scenery, each others company couldn't get better. You'll enjoy your rides. Post some pics when you're done.

Quick Reply: Stereo system installed on my Fatboy, I don't need a bagger