Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs. Softail

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Stevea
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyna vs. Softail

I currently own a metric ('03 Suzuki VS800 Intruder) and want to move up to a larger HD bike. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Softail Standard or Duece or a Low Rider. I am 5'8 180lbs and most of the time I ride solo. I am targeting spending $10K or less and think that will get my into the 2002-2005 models. Any pros/cons on these three choices as well as which model years are better coices than others would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 PM
ironman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,

I had a dyna (FXD) for my last bike. To me it seemed a lot more spritely and nimble to ride, than the softail(Fatbot) Ive got now, which is much heavier but a lot more planted on the road.
You cant chuck it)the FB) around as much, but it feels so much more solid.

Utlimately, its down to personal preference. My advice would be to tak a few test rides and then sit back and think about it before making a decision...They are all great bikes.

I only wish I could have more that none at a time - depending upon my mood.....

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevea
I currently own a metric ('03 Suzuki VS800 Intruder) and want to move up to a larger HD bike. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Softail Standard or Duece or a Low Rider. I am 5'8 180lbs and most of the time I ride solo. I am targeting spending $10K or less and think that will get my into the 2002-2005 models. Any pros/cons on these three choices as well as which model years are better coices than others would be appreciated.
It really depends on your riding style and tastes. The Dyna has a rubber mounted motor and is a more of a no frills bike. They are great for building a hot rod because they handle really well. The soft tails are better cruisers and and are much easier to customize. The counter balanced '00 and later softies don't shake. There are a lot of parts available for the soft tail. You can also hop them up and have a good looking fast bike, that handles pretty well, but the dyna will handle the twisties a little better. Either one can tour okay if equiped with a windshield and bags, and maybe a sissybar to strap extra luggage on to. The dynas are cheaper to buy new.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM
snook592
Club Member

There are many factors in the ride. ie tire sizes, rakes, height , controls , shocks. The only way to find out what you really like is to take it for a test ride. Baskin robins has 31 flavors for a reason. Only your butt will know which bike belongs under you

Last edited by snook592; 11-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevea
what kind of riding you going to do? The softails a nice ride but do you want a handling bike?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Stevea
Advanced

Thanks to all that replied. The info you provided is helpful. For those who asked what tyoe of riding I do, it is mostly solo and I try to get out daily. Most rodes are in the 40-75 mile range, although some weekend rides can be longer. Most rides are taken on New England backroads and i do not do much highway riding - my VS800 is a bit underpowered and not as stable as a bigger bike. A larger, more stable & powerful motorcycle would let me use the highway to get to the more distant backroads furhter from home. So, in a nutshell I prefer backroad rides but want a more powerful & stable bike to get to them. Make sense?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a nutshell I prefer backroad rides but want a more powerful & stable bike to get to them. Make sense?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does.........softail

Old 11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
snook592
Club Member

Your next post should be " I went out today and test rode ....... " That is the only way you are gonna know what you like. Not what we like. To find out what we like all you have to do is look at our pics.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Wallaby
Club Member

Any of the Softails will suit your needs, comes down to what get's your motor runnin'. A Deuce has more chrome than the Standard, and does not share as many parts as the other Softail's, a lot of accessories are either "Fits all Softails except Deuce" or vice versa. Not enough of a drawback if you really want a Deuce IMO.

Keep us posted, and welcome to the Forum!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer

Me and a buddy who's never rode a Harley hit the demo rides and Bikes Blues and BBQ this year. He was dead set on a wide glide before. He rode a wide glide, a softail custom, and a fatboy. Now he's set on a softail custom. He said the wide glide made his hands go numb, and the fatboy didn't want to turn/lean. I'd have to agree.

I rode a sporty, a heritage, and an ultra. Heritage was nice, Ultra was really nice, but I love the way my softail custom (basically same as the standard) sits and rides.

That new sportster xr1200 is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden btw.

Definitely ride some before you spend the money. You'll be able to sell a 00-05 for what you buy it for most likely though....depends on whether you pay cash or finance I guess.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs. Softail