Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobtail fender chop???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobtail fender chop???

Anyone ever done this? Wonder what it would look like..... any opinions?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
bgibbster
Tourer

I am not sure you could get it low enough to close the gap between the fender and tire. I think it would have the dirt bike look. I personally don't even like the look of the Heartland kit without it being slammed. Thats why I went with the ShadeTree kit.
Just my opinion though.

Just realized it was you that got the BR customs bars, I definitely wouldn't skimp out on the fender with those custom bars.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
NightJay
1st Gear

If what your talking about is cutting you softail fender to look like a bobber then this is my take. If im wrong then diregard. i thought about doing this on my nightrain but i seen this softail in front of my work today and it looked like the fender was chopped. While the cut was clean, it was to far off the rear tire. It "looked" like it had been chopped. It did'nt hug the tire like I thought it should. If you think you might like it, try but then theres no goin back. Just my take!! What year is you nightrain, does it have the 200mm tire cause im looking far a street bob style fender that would fit mine.

Last edited by NightJay; 11-02-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
twisted125
Road Master

I love the lines of the bobtail, so Im a tad biased. I believe the steps and the gentle curve would make it hard to pull a cut line that would look right.

I would suggest this - Hit up ebay and find one of those dirt cheap bobtails I see every now and then from a bike that got laid down or parted out. Sand it, cut it, rattle can it, and try it out. If it doesn't work out right then you still have your pretty bobtail, waiting for you apologize. Oh yea, and post results. Good luck if you go through with it.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Big Fig
Advanced

Yeah the gap would be huge and ugly

Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It can be done but you'll need to remove the bolts in the struts and drill new holes higher on the fender(making it closer to the tire). Like Twisted said I'd hit up ebay before I hacked up my painted one

Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too love the bobtail fender, and agree that it's profile makes it the wrong fender to chop, it would leave a HUGE gap hanging between tire and fender, a lowering kit would help.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Slap and air ride on and then it will look right after being chopped.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

still have to drill the fender and lower it w/a lowering kit.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

I get what ya'll are saying and my bike is already lowered almost to the stops to the point where if I sit on the bike and bounce down hard it will bottom out...Here is what makes sense in my head... Remove fender struts, De-wire the fender and remove it, remove little plactic piece of crap fender, pull the bolts on my shocks so that it sits down on the stops for mock up purposes, put the struts back in place, tape some garden hose to the tire and slide the fender down between the struts to where it sits on the garden hose, take a sharpie and start sketching cut lines and strut holes.....Make sense to anyone?

Quick Reply: Bobtail fender chop???