Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo hazing

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:36 PM
jlsk624
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo hazing

Any help on why the speedo has a grease look ( inside the glass ), this is going to be the 3rd time they replaced it, it doesnt fog up like water and has only gotten wet 2 or 3 times. The dealer says that the factory seals them and that the cuase of the grease look is some film they put on the inside of the speedo.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speedo hazing

Sorry dude but the first time I looked at your subject line I though you were posting something about being hazed into an mc that had something to do with a speedo.

Now I've got to go back to the cleavage and thong treads to get that mental picture out of my mind.[:'(]

Rick

Old 07-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

My speedometer would get moisture in it after a damp night in the garage and it would take forever for it to dry out, days sometimes. I asked one of my dealer's techs about drilling a hole in it to let it vent, he didn't think that would be a good idea since it was a sealed unit. Being stubborn and not liking water in my speedometer, I went ahead and carefully drilled a hole about 3/32 in diameter in the plastic housing, far enough from the bezel to not be covered by the rubber isolation ring but no closer to the bottom than necessary. This was about a month ago.

Since then, my speedometer has stayed dry through rain and sun, and I do not have to look at that misty circle in the middle of it.

Here's my analysis of the situation: the unit is supposed to be sealed. If it is getting water in it, it is not completely sealed. If the water stays a long time, the seal leak is enough to let it in but not enough to let it back out. If my speedometer is already not sealed, my adding a hole is not going to change anything except let a tiny bit of circulation in so it will stay dry. If I am correct, I have helped my speedometer, not hurt it.

When you drill the hole, be very careful that you do not break through the plastic case and run the bit into some electronic part.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
jw5150
Cruiser

Speedo hazing? Is that like bikini waxing?