Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixin' up the Faboy...pics to come

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
meanderer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixin' up the Faboy...pics inside

In August I laid my 04 Fatboy down and completely fractured my ankle; the bike fared much better than I did with only bent handle bars, messed up turn signals on the right side, and crash bars were bent to hell. Since then I've recovered pretty well and am getting around w/ a pretty pronounced limp, so I use a pimp cane. This weekend I decided I had all the parts I needed to fix my handle bars, turn signals, and such.

After reading a lot on the forums, I decided to go with beach/knuckle bars. I got a 36" wide set of 1.25" dia. beach bars from Hill Country Customs and cables. A buddy helped me and we ran all the wiring inside the handlebars and got the cables run. While we were at it I put a low profile Panacea taillight on too.

We are almost done with everything and the test ride will likely happen tomorrow. When I get her all buttoned back up, I'll take some pics and post them for your viewing pleasure. This forum proved to be invaluable as I was researching what I needed and how to go about the task.

I cannot wait to be back in the saddle. Now I just need to find a way to stow the cane while out riding.

Last edited by meanderer; 10-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by meanderer
In August I laid my 04 Fatboy down and completely fractured my ankle; the bike fared much better than I did with only bent handle bars, messed up turn signals on the right side, and crash bars were bent to hell. Since then I've recovered pretty well and am getting around w/ a pretty pronounced limp, so I use a pimp cane. This weekend I decided I had all the parts I needed to fix my handle bars, turn signals, and such.

After reading a lot on the forums, I decided to go with beach/knuckle bars. I got a 36" wide set of 1.25" dia. beach bars from Hill Country Customs and cables. A buddy helped me and we ran all the wiring inside the handlebars and got the cables run. While we were at it I put a low profile Panacea taillight on too.

We are almost done with everything and the test ride will likely happen tomorrow. When I get her all buttoned back up, I'll take some pics and post them for your viewing pleasure. This forum proved to be invaluable as I was researching what I needed and how to go about the task.

I cannot wait to be back in the saddle. Now I just need to find a way to stow the cane while out riding.
wow i hope you are feeling better july28 this summer a kid 18 hit me from behind on my new 2009 lowrider trying to pass me on the right i went down. i did not fix the bike i traded it and got a 2010 fatboy lo. good luck on fixing your bike..

Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude the cane thing should be easy. You should be able to come up with many options , such as an old shotgun holster or something of the sorts. Talk to Shaun a sokustoms.com I'm sure he'll hook you up

Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM
zer0t
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Chubby Knuckle bars on my 03 Heritage. Same bike so I think knuckles will great on your FB.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

With the bars on and just sitting on the bike I really like the feel of them. I have them angled down right now and they fit perfectly. I was kicking around the idea of getting 38" beach bars, but now I'm glad I went with these b/c they are the cats meow.

I hadn't thought about Sokustoms, but I do like his work. He made my chopper bag and tool bag and I really like those a lot. Thanks for the idea.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:48 PM
zer0t
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post up some pics of the progress if you can.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

This is where we were when we started this morning. I always forget to take pics for the whole step by step, but you can get an idea of the bars from the pic and see the taillight.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:07 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

GLAD YOUR OK DUDE, and "KEEPING YOUR BELOVED FATBOY"!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

Well, the weather finally cleared a bit that I could get the bike out of my filthy garage and take some pics of it. Here is the bike after the wreck and back on the road.