Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am going to buy 06 FHSTDI with 2 little problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009 | 11:21 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

If a Sportser tube would fit, it would have the same part number.

Get the right parts, or stay away from the project.

Odds are some poor sucker is gonna get stuck with your mess after you slop together bike #16, and that just ain't right.

Old 10-24-2009 | 12:14 PM
09_NightRider
Tourer

Complete 41mm tube assemblies can be had reasonable cheap.

21" front wheel, tire, bearings, spacers, rotor, upper-lower triples, neck bearings, handle bars, risers, mirriors, controls, etc....
Will quickly add up...

you cant check the frame, and be certain...only a shop should be trusted for this

If its cheap enough
(factor in cost to repair, salvage title registering, value lost due to wreck salvage title)
is it worth it ?
debatable at best...

Old 10-24-2009 | 12:17 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by micahpop
Damn, that's a lot of bikes in 3 years.
That was my thought.

I've been riding my own street bikes since 1984 and have only owned 5.

My opinion...

Don't walk away from this bike... RUN away from it.

Unless you're getting it for $500...

Old 10-24-2009 | 12:40 PM
av8or
Road Master

Old 10-24-2009 | 02:12 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Old 10-24-2009 | 05:40 PM
car5car
|
Banned

Thanks for your advices. I am a car mechanic, engine mechanic and a body man. On top of that I always do car wheel alignments on my driveway just because half of shop alignment guys are morons and another half are lazy. Trust me, you never get alignment right in any shop.
there is plenty info on internet how to check bike alignment and I don't think it is such a big deal to align slightly bent neck (let us say 5%.)
I want the bike really bad.

Old 10-24-2009 | 05:52 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by car5car
Thanks for your advices. I am a car mechanic, engine mechanic and a body man. On top of that I always do car wheel alignments on my driveway just because half of shop alignment guys are morons and another half are lazy. Trust me, you never get alignment right in any shop.
there is plenty info on internet how to check bike alignment and I don't think it is such a big deal to align slightly bent neck (let us say 5%.)
I want the bike really bad.
That's all fine and dandy, but if you have to piece it together with questionable parts, then it is not meant to be. Do it right or don't do it at all.

As far as the frame is concerned, it's not adjustable like a car suspension.
It's either straight, or it is scrap metal. Heating and bending is not an option, it kills the intergrity and weakens the metal. If you are doing this for profit, this would be a very mean thing to do to the prospective buyer. You might as well steal his wallet instead.

Old 10-24-2009 | 07:01 PM
Wallaby
Club Member

I don't think that there is big $ to be made in Salvage title bikes, they are always priced way under the "Clean" title bikes. I personally would not buy a Salvage title bike, too many skeletons hiding in that closet for me.

If you want the bike to KEEP and ride (not re-sell), then get it for a real good price and use the right parts to repair, or don't get it at all.

Again, Sportster front ends are not a direct replacement for a Softail Deuce!

Old 10-24-2009 | 07:03 PM
car5car
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Odds are some poor sucker is gonna get stuck with your mess after you slop together bike #16, and that just ain't right.

Poor sucker is going to be me.

Old 10-24-2009 | 07:19 PM
car5car
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
That's all fine and dandy, but if you have to piece it together with questionable parts, then it is not meant to be. Do it right or don't do it at all.

As far as the frame is concerned, it's not adjustable like a car suspension.
It's either straight, or it is scrap metal. Heating and bending is not an option, it kills the intergrity and weakens the metal. If you are doing this for profit, this would be a very mean thing to do to the prospective buyer. You might as well steal his wallet instead.
Did you ever repair bike frame? Did you try to understand how to do that? What do you know about bike frames?
There is a car dealership "Carmax" Their slogan "we never sell cars after accidents". This is a smart way to make people overpay for cars, considering that probably 70% of cars on roads today were in some sort of accident. People are always afraid of something they don't know anything about. I was driving cars after repaired body damage for 15 years. My wife and my parents too. They just cost me about twice less. I just bought a car for my parents for about 5K which has book value about 13K.

Quick Reply: I am going to buy 06 FHSTDI with 2 little problems.