Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...My FXSTC 07 has a starting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:36 PM
jglasgow110
|
Tourer
Default Help...My FXSTC 07 has a starting problem!

Here's whats happening. I can start the bike cold just fine, after I ride it for a short period of time and try to start it again, it starts very hard, it almost sounds like the battery is going dead, but I had it checked and the stealer said the battery was fine, it's only 2 years old. It has that metallic slap that it normally does...just not with the same gusto. Additionally, I'll get blow-back coming out of the top of the pipes, even some smoke and the smell of gas...the bike runs fine...once it starts, but it's almost stranded me on a couple of occasions and I can't figure out the problem, a friend of mine said it sounds like its' "loading up"...whatever that is. It's almost like its to much compression for it to want to start. I had the 103 kit put in it 16k miles ago and have had zero problems with the bike. Is the dealer wrong...do I just need another battery or is it something else? Thanks for the help!!

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:48 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I have a similar issue with a 1999 95" carbed bagger. After filling with gas it sometimes tries to compression lock because of the heat. A guy suggested I thumb the starter button briefly but not long enough to start it. Maybe move the piston's an inch or two. Sometimes it will cough out the carb then but it doesn't compression lock on the start up a second or two later. He also said the cure for mine is compression releases but no can do right now.

Old 10-22-2009 | 10:46 PM
jglasgow110
|
Tourer

can this happen with fuel injection and if so, why now...this just started happening within the last 500 or so miles. I'm definitely going to give your suggestion a try, hope it works...that would be an easy fix.

Old 10-23-2009 | 08:38 AM
Figstr
Road Captain

Your not alone with this problem. Mine does nearly the same thing. It's fine when it's cold but warm is another thing. The starter will turn, turn, turn, then stop as if the battery is dead. I release the start button and try again. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 pushes of the start button to get it going. Once it starts it smells like fuel for a few seconds. When my ECM fried on me, Harley noticed the problem and said it could be a few different things. I stopped listening when he said "worse case scenerio it would cost $1100 to fix." It could be the starter or something inside the motor is all I remember. I currently have a flat rear tire and once I replace it, I'm taking the bike to my Indy to have him check it out.

Old 10-23-2009 | 09:53 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Have you removed the battery cables, cleaned the ends and the battery posts, then tightened them properly?
There may be just enough corrosion on the surfaces to limit hot starts but still let enough juice through for normal cold starts.
Tom

Old 10-23-2009 | 05:27 PM
jglasgow110
|
Tourer

I'm still under warranty so I'm just going to let the stealer look at it. I haven't checked the battery cables yet, but that a great idea...I'm definitely going to do that.

Old 10-23-2009 | 09:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member

dont forget to post up the fix once u figure it out...

Old 11-04-2009 | 02:40 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

I have same bike, same kit and same issue.

They replaced a starter and it started happening a few months later.

Now they say I need to buy compression releases for $450.

Mike

Old 11-04-2009 | 03:13 PM
Bikenator
Club Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Have you removed the battery cables, cleaned the ends and the battery posts, then tightened them properly?
There may be just enough corrosion on the surfaces to limit hot starts but still let enough juice through for normal cold starts.
Tom
+1 Checked my positive cable on batt a short while ago and found it to be not really tight. Inspected it for corrosion, found none, re-tightened, no more hot start issue.

Old 11-04-2009 | 09:04 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer

Lets face it guys, any time you increase the cubic inches or do anything to change the compression on a motor it becomes harder to start--simple physics.

When then engine is hot it is even worse because the hot gasoline expands greatly and fills the compression chamber with more gasoline fumes. When it comes up on the compression stroke it is harder to compress. What is the answer, either compression releases or a heavier starting system. A heavier starting system includes a heavier starter and a new battery. Most motorcycle batteries have a life of just over two years. I know everyone knows some dude that had one last forever and a day. But the rest of us live by Murphy's law. If it can fail, it will! We pushed our Fatboy out to 95 cubes, did the heads, removed the cam chains and changed the cams. We got by with the original starter about a year. After that time it just got weak from having to work so hard to turn over this built up motor. We put in a high torque starter and new battery--problem solved with out compression releases.

This is our experience. Not saying this is the only answer because if I had it to do over, I would put in compression releases when I did the engine build. Hindsight is always 20/20.

The stealer will charge you $500 or more for a high torque starter and another $120 for a new battery plus labor to put them in but it will help resolve your problem. We did the replacement ourselves without too much problem in about 2 hours.

Quick Reply: Help...My FXSTC 07 has a starting problem!