Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end wobble on Heritage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 12:38 PM
jwilli01
|
6th Gear
Default Front end wobble on Heritage!!!

We've got an '06 Heritage Classic and when we're both on the bike we seem to loose control over the front end when stopping and starting. (Okay, we're newbies...is it us?)
Have a 1200C Sportster and don't have the same problem...I've been told that I'll get used to the bike and won't have this problem....what do you think?

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14185/835E9763EB73487F8D2CFF0B65EEC715.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2006 | 12:49 PM
06Heritage
Tourer
Default RE: Front end wobble on Heritage!!!

Our Heritage seems pretty stable...we were a little wobbly at first, but i think that was just getting used to the weight of it.
By the way...what seat is on your bike ? we've got the touring pillion on ours, and the wife still hates it. [:'(]

Old 07-03-2006 | 12:55 PM
slack
Road Captain

Hey I have a 05 Heritage my front end was wobbling after coming down form speeds of 50 mph or so. Posted a question here and was told to have my berings in the neck checked. I did and it cured my problem. The shop only charged me $35.00 not bad.

Old 07-03-2006 | 03:20 PM
jwilli01
|
6th Gear

Answers to both replies (thanks by the way).
1. 06Heritage: We replaced the original seat with the sundowner (which I had done on my Sportster) I really like it , the wife doesn't because it sits lower and it's not as comfy. Initially (before the sundowner) I had replaced the factory passenger and backrest with the wider matching studded seat - the wife loved it! Course now I have the sundowner which is a one piece unit......well at least one of us is happy now.

I am getting better at managing the weight when stopping which has reduced the wobble. I'm also going to lower the front and rear end. Someone told me that they had theirs done and it made all the difference in the world.

2. Slack: I appreciate the comment I'll have the tech check those bearings when I take it in.

Thanks again for the response!

Old 07-03-2006 | 04:20 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

My 03 Heritage would want to head for the puckerbrush at slow speeds. At highway speed it was just fine.

Had the mech tighten up the bearings / falloff and she has been fine ever since.

Old 07-03-2006 | 07:46 PM
haksaw
Road Master

while he's checking the steering head bearings...have him check the pinch bolts. There were a fair bit of broken pinch bolts on the heritage for a while about a year back or so.

Old 07-03-2006 | 07:52 PM
jwilli01
|
6th Gear

Guys, thanks again for your help. I will take your advice and have these checked out.

Be safe and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-04-2006 | 12:09 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser

yep - I heard about those pinch bolts - I was told new Heritages is notorious for this issue. I'm waiting for mine to start wobbling, but so far so good.

Old 07-04-2006 | 05:32 PM
notorious
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GeezerGlider

yep - I heard about those pinch bolts - I was told new Heritages is notorious for this issue. I'm waiting for mine to start wobbling, but so far so good.
Why does everybody blame me?

Old 07-05-2006 | 08:13 PM
HOGYLD
Novice

I have a 06, had the same wobble and knocking on the front end. Took the bike to the dealer today and the neck bearings were loose. I talked to the tech who I know that works there and he says that if they don't get the races seated properly, in time that when hitting bumps the races will then seat. That is exactly what happen when I went across some railroad tracks. The front end became loose.

Quick Reply: Front end wobble on Heritage!!!