Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raking a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 PM
lnrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Times have changed; at one time, raked trees were only for the suicidal. But the technology has come a long way.
If you want more information on rake and trail, there should be some information in parts unlimited/drag specialties catalogs. At one time, I know there was a chart included in the triple tree section... At least it will give you a reference point as to what to expect in order to maintain frame heighth depending on the stretch (if any) and rake of your frame, the length of your forks and the size of your wheel/tire. [A lot of it's about the Pythagorean Theorem.]
Sill, I believe the best bet is to cut your frame and rake it USING A FRAME JIG and a professional welder.
Done right, the bike should handle just fine, but keep in mind that at first blush, you'll find that at slow speeds, tight turns will seem a little awdward. But, that's the "give." And as they say, "for every action..." The "take" here, is that on straight rides, the bike will ride straight with little effort (if all is lined up correctrly of course). And for highway cruising, there's little to compare.

roll on
-L

Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbx08
TIPN8R - that is one of the Hottest looking bikes ive seen...Awesome..

So currently your bike is sitting with only 3degree rake?
Yes, for now only 3 degrees, tearing it apart this winter to install bearing cups.

Thanks for the comment too!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's no Fatboy but I have a set of 3 degree raked trees on my train... And taking a tight turn is where I feel it the most... Took a few days to get used to but after that no probs.

I did hear though thats raked bearing cups was not a good idea? I wouldn't no though like I said it's just what i've heard?

Name:  Story2.jpg
Views: 3611
Size:  62.0 KB

Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 4 deg. HHI's on mine too. No problems at 100+ and looks great.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 AM
mbx08
Novice

Originally Posted by story808
It's no Fatboy but I have a set of 3 degree raked trees on my train... And taking a tight turn is where I feel it the most... Took a few days to get used to but after that no probs.

I did hear though thats raked bearing cups was not a good idea? I wouldn't no though like I said it's just what i've heard?

Nice work!!!
Is it just a matter of putting on the triple trees with the 3 degree rake, or is there more involved???

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 AM
mxsman
6th Gear
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a link to the ones I purchased.

http://www.vulcanworks.net/store_4/p...0&cat=0&page=1

Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Maybe something like these? They say sportster but i looked em up under softail.
http://www.realhog.com/detail.cfm?Ca...dson_Sportster
http://www.realhog.com/detail.cfm?Ca...dson_Sportster

Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work!!!
Is it just a matter of putting on the triple trees with the 3 degree rake, or is there more involved???
Yeah thats about it... The one thing I had to do is put in a internal stop... which is a lower bearing race with the stop on it... and I don't have a neck lock any more... you know with the key... I'm not sure about the fatboy frontend... but I'm sure you can find after market ones with the rake built in already? Good luck brother!

"J" Great looking ride!

Last edited by story808; 10-22-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
CycleDrider
Road Master

Nice work!!!

Simplified install.
HHI Trees lenghten the existing tubes by about 2". So you remove the existing fork tubes and remove the top caps and install these 2" plugs in there place. The trees come with new bearings and you install as new trees set the pre load etc. The locking hardware is all hidden. So on the plugs are threads they screw into the top tree. Then you install a hidden clamp on the lower tree that tightens and keeps the fork tube tight. You wil need a tube of anti sieze for some parts of the install. The 08-09 don't need an additional fork stiop. Its built into the trees. You also get longer cow bells. The directions where pretty good.

I also lowered my rear by 1" to make up for the front be a little lower now. The draw back is slow driving like in a parking lot is a little tougher other wise no problems

Quick Reply: Raking a Fatboy