Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" Ape Hangers - How tall are you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 PM
RuJelous
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5'11" have 16's on my deluxe and wouldn't have it any other way. My last bike was a night train. I had drag bars on it and couldn't ride more than 30mins. Absolutly love my deluxe with apes!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 PM
ten90seven
Intermediate

I'm 5 11"....running 16" 1 1/4" Chubby apes.....

FLSTSCI .....2005 Softail Springer Classic......
Always had apes...every bike I've owned.....

In detail.....I'm running a short 1 1/2" riser from RSD

With the stock style seat ...the bars feel more like 14's.....

With my lower...slimmer...bare bones style solo, they feel like 16 1/2"

For LONG rides...I opt for the stock seat....for comfort on the butt, and to keep my arms loose......

In the city, I prefer the lower seat...and I stretch a lil on slow, full turns..

Either way....COMFORTABLE.....lots of leverage....more control....

Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The nice thing about a thread like this is that the time it runs really doesn't matter. There's always people new to apes coming on here (like me) that want to hear different opinions. I just recently agonized for weeks which way to go, street bars or apes. Went so far as to build a wood scaffolding over my bike and clamped a bar to that at different heights and pullbacks for feel. Finally went with 12" BR new wave II's. Just hope they're tall enough cause I'm still feeling a little cautious, never having had them before. It is a substantial investment after all. At least for me. Bars & risers alone were over $600. The dealer had nothin' on the floor and didn't seem real interested in helping either.And I don't know anyone with them so this and other threads like it, are nice to read for ideas. Thanks everybody.

The following 2 users liked this post by ILMFBL:
Morg (05-05-2019), Spindrifter (05-07-2019)
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 PM
ten90seven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
The nice thing about a thread like this is that the time it runs really doesn't matter. There's always people new to apes coming on here (like me) that want to hear different opinions. I just recently agonized for weeks which way to go, street bars or apes. Went so far as to build a wood scaffolding over my bike and clamped a bar to that at different heights and pullbacks for feel. Finally went with 12" BR new wave II's. Just hope they're tall enough cause I'm still feeling a little cautious, never having had them before. It is a substantial investment after all. At least for me. Bars & risers alone were over $600. The dealer had nothin' on the floor and didn't seem real interested in helping either.And I don't know anyone with them so this and other threads like it, are nice to read for ideas. Thanks everybody.
Wow...$600 for bars & risers is a lot man!

I went to eBay for 16" Chubbys....and a set of RSD contrast cut risers.....AND a Burly Cable kit......spent LESS than that on all of em...

Old 09-13-2014, 11:02 PM
ten90seven
Intermediate
Default A word about risers and tall apes

Those damn stock risers on my FLSTSCI just stunk....
Barely torquing them down fully got me stripped post threads due to cheap metal and grade 8 bolts...not to mention the fact they were a "two bolt each riser" set up...

I ordered a set of 1 1/2" risers from RSD ...contrast cut vintage line
They have a "four bolt each riser" set up....and man do they CLAMP down.

Great quality aluminum set with grade 8 bolts...... My 16" Bars are FIRMLY held....even when moving the bike out the garage on the lawn.....

Just an experience...hope it helps someone else......go 8 bolt!!!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ten90seven
Wow...$600 for bars & risers is a lot man!

I went to eBay for 16" Chubbys....and a set of RSD contrast cut risers.....AND a Burly Cable kit......spent LESS than that on all of em...
Well, that did include powder coat and shipping (clear across the states) on both, but yeh, pricey. The up side is I get what I pay for, Unique, quality custom bars that fit me and my Lo like they were made just for me. Oh wait, they were!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrycorcoran
Can you do 700 mile back to back days without issue?
700 mile days without issue... Seriously? I bet there aren't more than a handful of peeps on this forum who have ever ridden 700 miles in a day on any bike.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 AM
rcscpa
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6 feet tall and have 16 inch apes, would never go back to anything else. Very comfortable riding position and control is great. Hand position is relatively even with shoulders.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrycorcoran
For the guys that ride with 16" ape hangers - how tall are you? Do you like them?

Can you do 700 mile back to back days without issue?
I'm 6 foot...240
I did NJ to N.C. in one day and yes they were comfortable.
My *** hurt but my arms were fine.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thealaskan
700 mile days without issue... Seriously? I bet there aren't more than a handful of peeps on this forum who have ever ridden 700 miles in a day on any bike.
Are you kidding? Back in my youth, 40+ years ago, I used to do a turn around in one weekend from SF bay area Calif. to Portland Oregon riding a 350 2 stroke Yamaha! Just around 650 miles one way. Did it all summer long. I thought she was worth it at the time. She wasn't.

Quick Reply: 16" Ape Hangers - How tall are you?