Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks or Performance???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii-Five-Jo
I just got a 2010 Rocker C and quickly found out that I could spend my entire pay check in a blink of an eye on parts and up grades. I've been riding Quads for serveral years and this is my first HD so I'm extremely excited to customize it! ( without breaking the bank...wishful thinking )

So my question is form or function, looks or performace, style or power?

Saw some Bad A$$ Rockers on here so I would like to here your 2 cents and see some pics!
It's not an either/or deal. You gotta get it all. In what order? That's the fun part. It's up to you. But you're gonna have to break the bank, or flex your card to the breaking point. But it doesn't matter, it's all worth it.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 AM
felixsum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stage I, a must. Loud pipes save lives.
The rest is all up to your taste.
Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FXSTSB
It's not an either/or deal. You gotta get it all. In what order? That's the fun part. It's up to you. But you're gonna have to break the bank, or flex your card to the breaking point. But it doesn't matter, it's all worth it.
And that right there is troof!

I went with looks/performance (intake, pipe and map) initially because I bought mine in the spring and didn't want to lose any riding time.. Waited until fall to start the Heartland conversion and then went into the motor in the winter so it was ready to ride this spring.. Obviously in Hawaii you don't have the "down time" like we do in IL so you'll have to decide for yourself..

Old 10-15-2009, 10:18 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii-Five-Jo
I just got a 2010 Rocker C and quickly found out that I could spend my entire pay check in a blink of an eye on parts and up grades. I've been riding Quads for serveral years and this is my first HD so I'm extremely excited to customize it! ( without breaking the bank...wishful thinking )

So my question is form or function, looks or performace, style or power?

Saw some Bad A$$ Rockers on here so I would like to here your 2 cents and see some pics!
Well I guess I'd say all of the above, just take your time doing it, I'd go with comfort first, then depending on personal preference, performance, or looks. Remember can't see the performance while putting along slow, or parked, but if it performs well and you ride ***** out, no one will see yoru cosmetic upgrades cuz you'll be a blur going by! What ever you choose, I'm sure you'll love your bike just as much!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After starting my work in progress this summer I wish I did a few things different.

I would

1) Make it fit you first. seat, bars, grips (wish I had done this first I just changed my bars a few weeks ago what a difference)

2) Make it look how you want it. chrome, lowered, stage1

3) Make it go like Hell (this is where you will have to save the most $$$ it gets expensive real quick) I will be saving all next year to do my motor work next winter.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
ThunderRock63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comfort, then Looks,then Performance. Face it you didn't buy the right brand if your looking for performance.(yes I'm going to catch hell for that statement, but I had a 600 in the 80's with more rear wheel HP than any street Harley)

Harley for me was more about they way they look, and feel while riding

Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price of kewl aint cheap, so if it looks good and built right it wont be cheap and more than likely performance built in.. A good air cleaner not only will it look good but give you a little performance and so on and so on... But for now stay away from internal performance and focus on external beauty and performance...

Old 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd vote for 50/50. Or, maybe even performance 1st.....It's always funny to see a "customized" bike get blown away by something that looks bone-stock.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a question only you can answer....
I think most do a little of "all of the above"

Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dito... Pipes and AC... is a must!

Hey where do you live in Hawaii? I'm on Oahu.

Quick Reply: Looks or Performance???