Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.5" Wild 1 Apes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Sullyboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting to do this as well. I'm 6'1". I think it will be easier on my shoulders on long rides. Plus its looks so much better. Maybe 14's. Sounds like a good winter project!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM
reds2harleys
Tourer

Sully, if you 6'1 do yourseelf a favor and go with the 14's. I'm a hair under 6 foot and they 12.5 are perfect for me. Some guys tell me I should have gone higher but I'm not all about topping anyone, I'm about what works for me. At your height the 14s will be just right, you'll get the look and the comfort without going to high.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer

I'm 5'9" with short arms and the 12.5's are perfect for me, I got mine with all the cables for a VERY good price, got them in the mail and put them on in a couple hours, not hard at all.

I love em, they're like an inch above my shoulders being perfectly straight out. Turning is AWESOME and I came from drag bars. It's a whole new bike now.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice bike 06Fatboy CT

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question guys...can you re-use your stock risers and hand grips when installing the HCC setup? I am looking at getting the 14" Wild One Apes for my Heritage and was wondering about any add-ons and/or specific tools I may need for the install (I've got the basics). Never done an ape install and want to do it myself rather than wasting $$$ at the dealership. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

Originally Posted by 09heritagerider
Question guys...can you re-use your stock risers and hand grips when installing the HCC setup? I am looking at getting the 14" Wild One Apes for my Heritage and was wondering about any add-ons and/or specific tools I may need for the install (I've got the basics). Never done an ape install and want to do it myself rather than wasting $$$ at the dealership. Thanks!
You should be able to use the stock risers because the Wild One's taper down at the center to allow for a 1" diameter riser and the grips do the same. As far as add-ons and/or specific tools I am not any help because I will probably be undertaking this task myself this winter. I have been searching on this site and have found quite a few threads that discuss many aspects to the ape installation.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer

You can use your controls and risers. If you go with a HCC kit, all you'll need is shrink tubing for the solder connections and brake fluid. I'm a staisfied HCC customer! I got the kit with chrome switches. So far the chrome still looks great.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CSRflstc
You can use your controls and risers. If you go with a HCC kit, all you'll need is shrink tubing for the solder connections and brake fluid. I'm a staisfied HCC customer! I got the kit with chrome switches. So far the chrome still looks great.
Thanks for the input...as of this afternoon, I pulled the trigger on a set of HCC 16's with the chrome switches as well, so I can't wait until I can put them on. I'm about 6' tall, so I think they'll fit good...BTW, CSRflstc...I think our bikes are about to look EXTREMELY similar from the outside (also a Red Hot Sunglo)! About the only noticable thing is that I have the mini passenger floorboards instead of the full sized ones. You've got pretty good taste!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer

Thanks for the input...as of this afternoon, I pulled the trigger on a set of HCC 16's with the chrome switches as well, so I can't wait until I can put them on. I'm about 6' tall, so I think they'll fit good...BTW, CSRflstc...I think our bikes are about to look EXTREMELY similar from the outside (also a Red Hot Sunglo)! About the only noticable thing is that I have the mini passenger floorboards instead of the full sized ones. You've got pretty good taste!
Haha! No, You have good taste!

You'll love the bars! 16's should fit you perfectly.

It's not a hard job. Just take your time.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Heritage632
Tourer

Originally Posted by myfhfb06
Does anyone have any recomendations where or who to buy cables from?
Got all my cables from Barnetts which came highly recommended from many people I talked to. I got all the numbers for the cables from Wild 1 tech department as I have 12.5" Chubbys. I'm 5'7" and the bars are just under shoulder height. Perfect for me. Its the best mod I've done to my bike!!!

Steve

Quick Reply: 12.5" Wild 1 Apes