Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.5" Wild 1 Apes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
TX Lo Life
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myfhfb06
I have read a few posts where some people were not happy overall from HCC. I take it they were good to you?
Well..... The first set of bars I got had powder-coating that looked like a kid used his moms oven to do the p/c and threw them on the ground at some point.

That being said, when I called them on it they overnighted me another set that looked perfect. Cable and line wise everything was perfect.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX Lo Life
Well..... The first set of bars I got had powder-coating that looked like a kid used his moms oven to do the p/c and threw them on the ground at some point.

That being said, when I called them on it they overnighted me another set that looked perfect. Cable and line wise everything was perfect.
I don't want anything like that to happen.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

Does anyone have any recomendations where or who to buy cables from?

I did the 13" ape bar conversion last month to my Fatboy; bars, controls, wiring, risers, bushings, grips and cables. The cables are Magnum's Sterling Chromite's purchased through M & M Cycles - great vendor.

Bars and controls purchased via Demon Cycles-south. Very satisfied!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Two things.

First, if you do a search on Hill Country Customs, you'll find alot of satisfied customers. Dollar for dollar, they offer a good set of bars, complete with control wiring and cables, for a good price. Personally, I ordered a set of Chubby W502's from them with internal wiring and they're in the garage waiting to get mounted. I was totally satisfied with communication, payment, and shipping. Robert Smith at HCC will work with you with any combination of bars and cables, nice guy and great to deal with.

Second, cables can be bought from any indy shop in your area, and usually take a day or two to arrive. Personally, I'd go with Barnett, but that's my choice. Just make sure you have the right length's, nothing worse than ordering them too short. I can tell you that Barnett's will run you about $50.00 each for the throttle and idle cables, and $70.00 for the clutch cable. Brake cables are a bit less at around $30.00. I'm having an indy shop make my brake cable versus buying one.

As far as Demon Cycles out of Florida; after doing a search on them on this forum, I wouldn't touch 'em with a 20 foot pole.

Last edited by Weevil; 10-14-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have some 14" chubby's on my NT that started out chrome but were PC'd gloss black and I luv them... I got my wire extensions from HCC and I gotta say the shipping was fast and a great deal. Don't forget you'll need to get some poly bushings also.

Last edited by story808; 10-14-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
reds2harleys
Tourer

I have them on my 08 Rocker C and LOVE them. I'm 6 foot and they are the perfect height and width for me. If you go to Wild 1's site and search them you see pics of my Rocker with them on it. Wish I had done them sooner.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
Two things.

First, if you do a search on Hill Country Customs, you'll find alot of satisfied customers. Dollar for dollar, they offer a good set of bars, complete with control wiring and cables, for a good price.
I will say that I have done just that and it seems that the positive posts far out number negative ones.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

After looking into HCC I see that they sell handlebars and chrome controls already wired. How is the quality of the cables and control covers?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
pearlandhd
Cruiser

I spoke with Robert just yesterday about a similar setup. He sated that unless your on a budget, he'd recommend chrome OEM controls. If I remember correct, he does those on an exchange basis for about $100. That seems cheap to me.

He's going to be in Galveston for the Lone Star Rally and I'm going to go by his booth and see everything first hand. The rally is at the end of the month. If you can wait that long I can tell you how everything looks

I think I've decided on Carlini Gangster Apes. They cost a little more but look awesome. I'm thinking 16". That's what he has on a road king. I'm going check that out at the rally and then order.

GoodLuck

Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

Originally Posted by pearlandhd
I spoke with Robert just yesterday about a similar setup. He sated that unless your on a budget, he'd recommend chrome OEM controls. If I remember correct, he does those on an exchange basis for about $100. That seems cheap to me.

He's going to be in Galveston for the Lone Star Rally and I'm going to go by his booth and see everything first hand. The rally is at the end of the month. If you can wait that long I can tell you how everything looks

I think I've decided on Carlini Gangster Apes. They cost a little more but look awesome. I'm thinking 16". That's what he has on a road king. I'm going check that out at the rally and then order.

GoodLuck
I would be looking into this for a winter project. That would be great if you wouldn't mind giving a little first hand insight. I kind of agree, adding $100 to the complete setup for the OEM controls does seem a little cheap. I would think it would be somewhat easy to put aftermarket products on that look very similiar but cost a fraction of the price.

Quick Reply: 12.5" Wild 1 Apes