Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Like Keepin' A French Whore In Lingerie"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
96 Heritage Softail
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Like Keepin' A French ***** In Lingerie"

Bought the 96 FLSTC in April. 16,870 miles on a ten yr old bike. Pristine condition, lots of extra stuff.

3000 miles in April. I did the 17,500 service at $300.00 and the 20,000 service took three days and ran me $1,300.00.

I bought the bike to ride it, seriously ride it. But every time I get on the road I look at the odometer and think about how many "rides" I get before I have to pony up more $$$ for service. I can do an oil change, basic 2,500 mile service, but I can't do the 10K stuff, which runs about a grand -- give or take.

So, counting the beans here. I looked at my $$$ software and discover I'm spending more on the bike than I'm putting into the mortgage. I was on track to pay off the 30 yr fixed in ten years. The bike scotched those plans.

Sooooooo . . . April, May, June. It rained most of May, and I didn't ride. Now it's June, warm, dry summer weather. The bike has about 21,500 miles on it. Three more rides and it's due for service.

Bottom line is, literally the "bottom line" . . . "It's like keepin' a French ***** in lingerie."

I'm tired of the expense. Riding is no longer enjoyable because of service costs. I've stopped riding the bike I've wanted to own for three decades. It's sitting in the shop, for sale on consignment.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10727/53731965CEFF45A1AFCFA27F8E80A404.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: "Like Keepin' A French ***** In Lingerie"

Get a service manual for $50 and a bike lift for $90 and learn to do the maintenace yourself. Buy the parts and oils off the internet way beforehand and buy it in bulk. Should cut your costs in half or more. What 10,000 mile service do you not think you can do yourself? The only thing I have had the HD shop do was put tires on the rims, I took the rims off and brought them in.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with fxstcguy98. I hate to see you spend that kind of cash for work you can do yourself.

I have 27000 miles on mine and the dealer hasn't seen it. You will get lots of help here on the forum.

$1300.00 ??? WTF did they do?

Old 06-27-2006, 05:35 PM
BluesJopo
Cruiser

It's too bad you're more worried about what's going to go wrong than enjoying your bike. I agree, learn to do your own servicing or find a friend that can help you. No way in hell would I put our bikes up for sale unless life was in dire straits. I'm sorry but quit looking at the odometer and have some fun...........especially since you've waited so long for your bike.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:39 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That motorcycle was made for riding, not waiting for the next service and worrying in between. I have 23,000 miles on mine and ride it every day. You don't have to service it every day.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Well, looks to me like you just picked the wrong bike for your budget. If it's image you're after, then that might not be fixable. If it's riding you're after, well, then, there are a great number of reasonably priced Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis that run forever, get great gas mileage, and have long miles between services. At the lower cost, you can afford the service. They tend to be easier on the butt, too.

I'm looking at a late 80's early 90's Ducati Paso... just to have around and ride for fun. It's an awesome bike, is fast, looks great, and can be had for less than $5k. I'll ride my Harley to rallys and around town. I've put 8K on my Nightrain in 5 months... and that is going to get expensive, too.

C#

Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 96 Heritage Softail

and the 20,000 service took three days and ran me $1,300.00.
Wait till you see what the 30K service costs! They take apart the front end to do the neck bearings.

I don't do "HD Service Dept"

Get a lift, get a manual, buy some good tools and learn about your ride. The only person I trust to turn
a nut on my rides... IS ME.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

If you can tell a hammer from a socket wrench you can do the service on your harley yourself. Like its been stated above, get a shop manual and see for yourself.

I live in the San Diego area and have help a few shy owners get started wrenching on their own toys. Surely you have met other HD owners in the area who do their own service and would help you get started if you asked them.

Stop at every Starbucks with a Harley parked outside and surely you will find help sooner than later.

It rains enough up there, it will give you something to do other than wax it.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:12 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

ORIGINAL: ThudMeister
Stop at every Starbucks with a Harley parked outside and surely you will find help sooner than later.
I don't think they do their own wrenching either! Hahahahahahahaha

Former Lemon Grove Resident.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:20 PM
96 Heritage Softail
3rd Gear

I have a lift. I have a Harley Davidson service manual.

20K repacks ALL the bearings. New rear tire, new brake pads, some bushings.

I read the manual, look at torque specs and clearance specs. I have a torque wrench and micrometers. Not like I don't understand machine shop data. Also, I can read a wiring diagram.

Just seems that the bike is beyond what I can do in the shop at home.

I paid $50 to have handlebar grips installed because I don't want to deal with the electrical in the controls.

Broke the speedometer lens. That's $260 for a new speedo. The lens can't be replace.

I hear what you're saying. I just have a hard time forever tweeking an 800 lb, $15K bike.

What my head is saying is, "It's not for me."

I did the same thing with surfing.

Quick Reply: "Like Keepin' A French Whore In Lingerie"