Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 heritage Classic Tach Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006 | 07:21 PM
llbandit
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default '02 heritage Classic Tach Install?

Hi all
I have a 2002 heritage classic, and just found a used tach (the dealership was asking $180.00). My problem is, there are no instructions (for the wiring.) It has two orange wires connected together, one pink wire, and one black wire. I,m new here but I know I've seen a thread about this, but I can't for the life of me find it now that I need it. If someone would be so kind as to shed a little light on this mystery I would be greatful. It's gettin' late here and I would sure like to go ridden', but I really would like to see this tach light up and work tonight.
Thanks for any input.
John

Old 06-24-2006 | 08:20 PM
Mike05
Tourer
Default RE: '02 heritage Classic Tach Install?

I found this tidbit using a web search. Seems other folks had the same problem. Please understand I am not recommending this procedure, but just passing along some info.

Below is the context of the message posted on a message board from Chicago Harley-Davidson:

'I finally got around to installing the Tach this weekend. The electrical connections turned out to be very simple, if you ignore the instructions. The Tach wiring harness has three wires - Pink, Orange, and Black.

The pink wire is plugged into cavity 7 of the 12 place connector [20B].

The black wire gets spliced to the black wire in cavity 12 of connector [20B].

The orange wire gets spliced to the black wire in cavity 6 of connector [20B]. '

Click the link below to see the full context of that post. I would be very certain this is the hookup you need before actually doing it. Maybe with this info you can ask those in the know if it sounds correct. Also, maybe someone at Chicago H-D could help.

(http://www.chicagoharley.com/cgi-bin...rum=4&topic=58).

Old 06-24-2006 | 11:52 PM
llbandit
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: '02 heritage Classic Tach Install?

Got 'er Done...
Spent some time scratching the ol' slightly balding noggin, got too hot and just went for it from what memory I have left.
thanks Mike05 for the input.
It 'works', went for a ride, life is good again...
Thanks for the Great Forum
John