Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with a Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:24 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Touring with a Deluxe?

Thanks for the information about the Sundowner seat.

I have noticed that you do not have the stock luggage rack on your Deluxe with the sundowner seat. Did you have to take it off to make the seat fit? You have to do that to get the Mustang seats to fit and buy the extender bracket to fit the mount holes.

The stock seat from Harley fits the Deluxe with the bracket on the holes provided. I suspect it may be a bit shorter that the "universal" softail seat that fits all other softails. Not sure about that but will check with Harley.

My wife and I travel with a tour pack and need the rack, even though it is very small and the tour bag slides down over the license plate top sometimes. Thinking about adding the big tour box and the detachable rack to go with that.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:41 AM
RetroHarley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

softail2005,

Yes, I had to remove the luggage rack to use the Corbin Seat. I do not do a lot of 2 up touring, she only does day trips and we have a bag that fits over her sissy bar for any other comforts she made need. When I go touring, I use a T-Bag that fits over the sissy bar and sits on the back of the Corbin seat.

Ride safe.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ridden as much as 560 miles in a day and ~1500 in 4 days on my deluxe. No problems other than a sore shoulder from holding the throttle.

You will definately want some highway pegs to allow you to change foot position every once in a while.

I also had my seat reshaped to let me move back a bit.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I have ridden as much as 560 miles in a day and ~1500 in 4 days on my deluxe. No problems other than a sore shoulder from holding the throttle.

You will definately want some highway pegs to allow you to change foot position every once in a while.

I also had my seat reshaped to let me move back a bit.
Wow! You really ride! Plan on doing about 5-6 hours a day. Good advice on the highway pegs. I have the moustache gaurd and feel pretty relaxed with it as is but may add the pegs.

Interesting about the should. I am considering one of those plastic things that go on the bar end to make long haul throttle easier.

Did you have your seat shaved at an apolstry place?

I am pretty happy with mine but do tend to sit on the back of it a bit. Wife and I got the alaska sheepskins.

Arthur

Old 06-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the seat done at an upholstery shop for $120 I think it was... Took a few hours total.

I have the same guard, but I find it raises my knees too high. Between it and the pegs I get a lot of movement.

I think better than the throttle boss, I would have appreciated that little tab that attaches to the thumb wheel. It allows you to lock the throttle and take your hand off for a stretch.

I do my riding solo, so I can't comment on how it would be 2-up.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Rhubarb,

I'll check into the tab for throttle locking.