Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with the grips hanging over the edge of the Wild 1 Chubbys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
TAWoody
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's up with the grips hanging over the edge of the Wild 1 Chubbys?

I installed my Wild 1's last week and both grips are about 2" over the end of the bars. What the hell? Obviously this is what happens to all your bars too, right? Anyone have any problems with the grips over time and the lack of support for them? I mean 2" is like half the fricken grip.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL... i thought the same thing. i used to have Chubby Wild1 bars(photos of my bike is still on thier web site)..what my problem was were the controls need to be loosened then pushed further up on the bars. With controls loosened push grips further on then tighten down your controls after that. This was my problem....

Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM
TAWoody
Tourer

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
LOL... i thought the same thing. i used to have Chubby Wild1 bars(photos of my bike is still on thier web site)..what my problem was were the controls need to be loosened then pushed further up on the bars. With controls loosened push grips further on then tighten down your controls after that. This was my problem....
The problem with the Chubby bars is that they get wider to 1.25" at the start of my controls. So I can't slide a 1" diameter control housing onto the 1.25" part. This is for a Softail so maybe different models have different housings?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed Chubby 515's on my heritage and don't remember the details of the install, but don't remember having any problems.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TAWoody
The problem with the Chubby bars is that they get wider to 1.25" at the start of my controls. So I can't slide a 1" diameter control housing onto the 1.25" part. This is for a Softail so maybe different models have different housings?
I thought the same thing believe me. My grips were hung off the ends. I actually called Chubby and asked about this. The guy told me the same thing im telling you. I did it and it worked, no problems. My bike is also a softail. Loosen your controls then slide them up. Push your grips until they bottom out. Then adjust your controls snug to your grips. Bingo no over hang. Give it a try. What do you have to loose. I had Chubby 503's with internal wirring. Here's a pic...

What's up with the grips hanging over the edge of the Wild 1 Chubbys?-my-bike9-012.jpg

Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, something doesn't sound right. I briefly had some 16" Wild 1 chubbys on my 04 NT and had no issue? Any chance of a picture to see what is happening?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
TAWoody
Tourer

Yeah I can take some pics with my left grip off when I get home.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM
TAWoody
Tourer

Ok here they are. First pic shows how much of the grip is over the end of the bars. Second pic shows the edge of the clutch housing pushing against the part of the bars that turns into 1.25" diameter. I tried loosening the housing and pushing it up onto the 1.25" part but it does not fit and I ended up scratching some of the black paint. D*mn it.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

call chubby wild1

Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAWoody
Ok here they are. First pic shows how much of the grip is over the end of the bars. Second pic shows the edge of the clutch housing pushing against the part of the bars that turns into 1.25" diameter. I tried loosening the housing and pushing it up onto the 1.25" part but it does not fit and I ended up scratching some of the black paint. D*mn it.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Quick Reply: What's up with the grips hanging over the edge of the Wild 1 Chubbys?