Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vibrations

I have a couple of questions with regards to bike vibrations- pls forgive my newbieness ;-) -
I just sold my 97 Heritage as i did not like the vibrations and what seem like floating/wooble at highway speeds and made me feel uneasy maybe I was the problem?? maybe the bike rides that way?? The bike was awesome as I loved the ride/looks/sound bla bla.
I have been reading that the 01 and up Heritage is a smother running bike as its a twin cam amoung other things.
I am going to buy another Harley B-)
oh man I really like the Rocker looks/stance.

1) is the 01 and up model year Heritage a smoother ride than my 97?
2) I understand the Rocker & Heritage are different type bike but how does the Rocker handle different than the Heritage? Vibrations? Floating feeling?
much appreciated.
Colin

Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No bike should wobble. If yours did, it had issues (head, tires, trail, you name it). Yes, B motored bikes vibrate considerably less than Evo's. My arms and hands haven't tingled since owning a B.

BTW: Check out the search feature on this site to get more info on the subject..

Originally Posted by Colin1966
I have a couple of questions with regards to bike vibrations- pls forgive my newbieness ;-) -
I just sold my 97 Heritage as i did not like the vibrations and what seem like floating/wooble at highway speeds and made me feel uneasy maybe I was the problem?? maybe the bike rides that way?? The bike was awesome as I loved the ride/looks/sound bla bla.
I have been reading that the 01 and up Heritage is a smother running bike as its a twin cam amoung other things.

2) I understand the Rocker & Heritage are different type bike but how does the Rocker handle different than the Heritage? Vibrations? Floating feeling?
much appreciated.
Colin

Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior

thanxs for the reply BigJoeNY,
I did alot of searching on the site trying to figure out the problem but figured its the way the ride handles.
anyways the bike is gone now and thats good news the B's are a smoother ride.
any Rocker owners out there that have had a Heritage before can tell me how the Rocker ride in comparsion to the Heritage.
AWESOME site guys pls keep up the good work.

Colin

Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin1966

much appreciated.
Colin
1, YES
2. never rode a Rock..

Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior

thanxs for the reply-
today i went to the HD dealer and looked @ both the Rocker and Heritage and after much thought i think i need 2 bikes :-) lol- I have started looking for a newer Heritage as i just like the classic look & ride also the wife would be a little more comfortable

Colin

Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the years, I've had several different Harleys from a '70 Shovel to both Touring and Softails. The best advice that I can give is, ride the bike before you buy it! If you can't ride that exact bike (new at dealer) ride a similar demo or rent a similar bike. Make sure that you really ride the bike, the way you normally ride. Not just a putt around the block. IMHO every bike is a little different. The only way to know is to ride the new bike before you buy it. That should eliminate any questions and insure that you get what you want.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onionfmr
Over the years, I've had several different Harleys from a '70 Shovel to both Touring and Softails. The best advice that I can give is, ride the bike before you buy it! If you can't ride that exact bike (new at dealer) ride a similar demo or rent a similar bike. Make sure that you really ride the bike, the way you normally ride. Not just a putt around the block. IMHO every bike is a little different. The only way to know is to ride the new bike before you buy it. That should eliminate any questions and insure that you get what you want.
I'll throw in one extra thing. You mentioned the wife likes to ride. Take her with you on this test ride, if she's not comfy then you won't be riding as much. I bought my Softail cuz I really wanted it but no matter what I did with seats or pegs she just didn't. I was "forced" to by the Road King so now she's happy (and my fleet is larger). If you can't afford two bikes, make sure she's happy with the one you have.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a "93 Heritage which at 65 mph vibrated like CRAZY!!!!

Didn't feel a wobble.....but alot of vibration....

I finally bought a 2010 Heritage and WOW!!! What a difference!

Don't know from what year will be good for you....

PS....my wife is very comfortable on the Heritage...but keep in mind she weighs around 105 and is 5'

Attached Thumbnails Vibrations-bike_002.jpg  
Old 09-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior

I had a "93 Heritage which at 65 mph vibrated like CRAZY!!!!

Didn't feel a wobble.....but alot of vibration....

I finally bought a 2010 Heritage and WOW!!! What a difference!

Don't know from what year will be good for you....

PS....my wife is very comfortable on the Heritage...but keep in mind she weighs around 105 and is 5'
my 97 vibrated badly and after every ride i would be checkin it over to see if any thing was loose :=)
my wife was confortable on the 97 Heritage.
I did find 1 today a 05 Heritage with 365 miles on it and estate sale, but its kind of weird dealing with trying to get a price thats good for both of us and I almost feel guilty.
guys thanxs for the advice and input
oh hogowner69 NICE BIKE

Colin

Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't go too far wrong with a Heritage. I've demoed just about every HD model and haven't found 1 yet that has convinced me to switch.

Some of them, namely the tourers were smoother at 70+ but that's not a big issue with me.

I just wish the Heritage came with solid rims and tubeless tires. Adjusting the spokes is a pita and tubed tires mean a towtruck if you get a flat.

Just to clarify though, the 96B doesn't make for a smoother "riding" bike, just a smoother idling bike. The non counter balanced 96A on the tourers shake a bit at idle but once you get moving the shakes disappear and it's as smooth as a 96B.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 09-30-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Vibrations