Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FATBOY vs HERITAGE CLASSIC Performance Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009 | 01:08 AM
04flstf_vs_03flstc
|
Stage IV
Default FATBOY vs HERITAGE CLASSIC Performance Comparison

We recently purchased 2 bikes. Mine, an 04 FLSTF and my girl's an 03 FLSTC. Both are pristine with low miles.

I have a stage 1 aircleaner and khrome works true duals. Hers was stock until today. We added an Arlan Ness Big Sucker, Powwr Commander, and Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs.

Mine is still considerably quicker at the start and excellerating at 70mph than hers is.

She has great sound but is still lacking the performance I was expecting.

Is there any way I can find out if I have an improoved Harley Davidson download?

Are there gearing options that may make this difference?

I dont believe the windshield and bags make too much difference at the low end, maybe a little at 70mph.

Old 09-25-2009 | 07:31 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

We are talking seat of your pants testing, correct? Did you switch bikes to test as well...? If you're quicker on the other bike then it's the rider. Maybe she's not winding it all the way out before shifting and you are. Not as quick on the shifts, etc... Windshield, bags, rider/bike weight will make a difference if the bikes are closely matched in horsepower. (any speed)

Originally Posted by 04flstf_vs_03flstc
We recently purchased 2 bikes. Mine, an 04 FLSTF and my girl's an 03 FLSTC. Both are pristine with low miles.

I have a stage 1 aircleaner and khrome works true duals. Hers was stock until today. We added an Arlan Ness Big Sucker, Powwr Commander, and Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs.

Mine is still considerably quicker at the start and excellerating at 70mph than hers is.

Is there any way I can find out if I have an improoved Harley Davidson download?

I dont believe the windshield and bags make too much difference at the low end, maybe a little at 70mph.

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 09-25-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2009 | 09:24 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Your girls bike should be the faster of the two, she has the better exhaust, performance wise. I doubt if it would make much difference performance wise as far as the two air filters. The 88" engine is only going to suck in so much air.
I would guess that your girl's bike is not dialed in properly.
Do both bikes use a Power Commander?
Tom

Old 09-25-2009 | 09:42 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by 04flstf_vs_03flstc

The stage 1 download from Harley dosent really do much cept' richen up the idle.....

Do you have the power commander with auto tune feature?

If not you may have mapped her bike wrong. When you say "We" is this you and her in the garage or you and a dealership with your credit card?

By all right her big shot longs are a higher performing pipe by just a tad....Switch bikes and see if you blow here away when you ride hers.

Old 09-25-2009 | 12:34 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

You mention hers has a Power Commander so it's injected, you don't mention a fuel management system for your Fat Boy. If your bkie is carbureted that explains it. Carbed Harleys run cooler, faster, and more trouble free than the new "improved" F.I. bikes. Thanks E.P.A.

Old 09-25-2009 | 01:28 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

Faster???? There will be many opinions on this one...

Originally Posted by Northside
You mention hers has a Power Commander so it's injected, you don't mention a fuel management system for your Fat Boy. If your bkie is carbureted that explains it. Carbed Harleys run cooler, faster, and more trouble free than the new "improved" F.I. bikes. Thanks E.P.A.

Old 09-25-2009 | 10:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I looked at the BSL's this spring, but after looking at the dynos, they will lose some low end TQ, I do like the sound and looks but didn't want to any lose TQ under 3500.
Most tuners will tell U the same thing.. Looog pipes hurt low end

On my sons 07 Deuce with BR 2-2, they even performed better than the BSL's on his new 09 NT below 3500.

His DYNO's are in the softail section in the sticky thread DYNO's For Softail.... if U want to see for Ur self

Last edited by oct1949; 09-25-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2009 | 11:43 PM
04flstf_vs_03flstc
|
Stage IV

We are talking seat of your pants testing, correct?
YES.

Did you switch bikes to test as well...? If you're quicker on the other bike then it's the rider. Maybe she's not winding it all the way out before shifting and you are.
NO - She is a bit uncomfortable with my 14 inch apes but side by side on open 4 lane we tested all gears one at a time from a rolling start. 1, 2, 3, GO full throttle to the limiters, mine pulls away easily.

Not as quick on the shifts, etc... Windshield, bags, rider/bike weight will make a difference if the bikes are closely matched in horsepower. (any speed)
Understand.

We are not really looking for a drag bike but she wants to accellerate with the Boys Club.

Thanks,

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:48 PM
04flstf_vs_03flstc
|
Stage IV

Your girls bike should be the faster of the two, she has the better exhaust, performance wise. I doubt if it would make much difference performance wise as far as the two air filters. The 88" engine is only going to suck in so much air.
I would guess that your girl's bike is not dialed in properly.

Builder said he had a map from an 88 with same air cleaner and pipes.

Do both bikes use a Power Commander?
Hers does, mine the Fatboy doesn't.

Working with builder to adjust map on power commander.

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:55 PM
04flstf_vs_03flstc
|
Stage IV

The stage 1 download from Harley dosent really do much cept' richen up the idle.....
I am guessing I have an improved Harley Download.

Do you have the power commander with auto tune feature?
Not sure $359.00??

If not you may have mapped her bike wrong.
I was expecting hers to blow mine away.

When you say "We" is this you and her in the garage or you and a dealership with your credit card?
Local custom builder with the CC.

By all right her big shot longs are a higher performing pipe by just a tad....Switch bikes and see if you blow here away when you ride hers.
NO - She is a bit uncomfortable with my 14 inch apes but side by side on open 4 lane we tested all gears one at a time from a rolling start. 1, 2, 3, GO full throttle to the limiters, mine pulls away easily.

Quick Reply: FATBOY vs HERITAGE CLASSIC Performance Comparison