Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't seen a leaky oil tank ever (not that it couldnt be that), but believe it or not, the rocker box gasket (if leaking from a small area) can blow against the oil tank in the same place every time. it happened to me on a bike i had 6 years ago. the two most common things that i have seen with oil leaks were the rocker box and the steering neck, although the latter would show signs of oil or grease all over the side of the bike, your pants, oil cleaner...every f'n where..i would like to know if it ends up being the oil tank neck, because generally you dont fill the oil tank up above that area.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been noticing a drop of oil on the filler neck tube on my 2010 Heritage. I've been curious what is causing it, but haven't been too concerned yet , thinking that maybe it is just squeezing off the rubber seal when it is inserted, but I will have to check it out further after reading this. Thanks

Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM
plane
Road Captain

Now I'm no expert but it would seem to me that a rocker box leak would leave some oil on the rocker box or somewhere on the motor. My motor is dry as a bone.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
macride
Cruiser

oct1949-damn. thanks I'll check mine out. that could suck bad at the wrong time

Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a vertical crack on mine...no oil leak but will be turning it in for warranty repair sooner or later.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:13 PM
plane
Road Captain

Good news, the bike is in and the oil tank is on order. I just have to do the waiting game to get my bike back now. I did ask if they'd seen this before and he said over the last 10 years or so he'd seen two other tanks leak on the weld.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2010 Heritage Oil Tank Leak

I am having the same issue with my new 2010 Heritage. I have been watching a small stream of oil leaking from the weld at the base of the filler tube and running down across the tank since I took delivery of the bike. It now has 700 miles on it. You can see that it was not properly welded and most of the welding is automated now, so if one is defective, chances are that there are many others out there with the defect in the same area. Check your oil tank. How many more are doing this ?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll be takin a close look at mine. Thanx.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
plane
Road Captain

Dealers taking care of it but the tank never showed up. I got the call from Scott at SuperstitionHD that the tanks are not made by Harley and they really have no control over getting new tanks. I'm going on 2 weeks now but if I had to do this over I'd opt for 'order the freakin tank and when it comes in I'll bring the ride in'.

Scott assured me that the tank would be in Tuesday, that would make it 12 days since I dropped off the bike. I can live with that but if the tank doesn't show Tuesday I'm going to start squeaking.

I've lost 2 weekends already here in Arizona during the VERY BEST weather of the year. I don't think I can take 3 weekends without a protest.

Amazingly the scoot is also in for a new front wheel due to a defect and I thought for sure that was going to be the sticking point on all of this.

Hey Man In Black, that's exactly what my tank was doing. The leak looked like a termite trail leading up to the bottom of the filler tube.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
fastkevin
Tourer

Originally Posted by plane
Dealers taking care of it but the tank never showed up. I got the call from Scott at SuperstitionHD that the tanks are not made by Harley and they really have no control over getting new tanks. I'm going on 2 weeks now but if I had to do this over I'd opt for 'order the freakin tank and when it comes in I'll bring the ride in'.

Scott assured me that the tank would be in Tuesday, that would make it 12 days since I dropped off the bike. I can live with that but if the tank doesn't show Tuesday I'm going to start squeaking.

I've lost 2 weekends already here in Arizona during the VERY BEST weather of the year. I don't think I can take 3 weekends without a protest.

Amazingly the scoot is also in for a new front wheel due to a defect and I thought for sure that was going to be the sticking point on all of this.

Hey Man In Black, that's exactly what my tank was doing. The leak looked like a termite trail leading up to the bottom of the filler tube.
That sucks big time man... FWIW, most of the parts on the bike or in the motor are made by 3rd-party vendors, and you're not the first to have parts availability problems with HD.. I've heard a bunch of these types of stories on here, the Sportster board, and the XR owners board.. It's bullshit that a company as large as HD, one that out-sells every other make in the country, can't get it's parts distribution right... If you don't get it by Tuesday, tell 'em to pull one off a new bike. I've seen guys actually use the bank(the one that financed the bike) as leverage against the manufacturer. They've told 'em that they're bike's been in the shop for "X" amount of time, and since they've lost a bunch of riding time due to the manufacturer not having parts readily available, they refuse to make another payment until they get the bike back. This in turn has kicked the bank into action, and they notified the dealer that they would in fact be 'charged back' for the bike unless they get it fixed by "X" date. The dealer in turn gets on the manufacturer's case, and the part magically shows up. I've seen this happen a handful of times.

Quick Reply: Strange Warranty Issue