Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tri bar led and docking hardware install gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 PM
6fthook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tri bar led and docking hardware install gone bad

Yes, I am sorry...........ANOTHER tri-bar LED tailight thread.

I tried to install the tri-bar LED tailight today, and while I was at it I decided to do the docking hardware install also since they kind of coincide with each other.

Well long story short, I failed at both installs today...

I couldn't get the front bolts off of the stock tailight assembly attaching it to the bracket underneath the fender. Both front bolts just kept free spinning, and I couldn't wedge anything into the tiny space to try to catch the nut inside of the bracket so it wouldn't move. Any advise?

I then moved on to try to take the fender bracket bolts off when I realized that I didn't have the right torx. So I got in my truck and drove to carquest and got their torx socket set. When I got back I tried to loosen them up. Both on the left side of the bike loosened up without much trouble, but the two on the right side (exhaust side) wouldn't budge. I put everything I had into it, and I started to strip both the bolt and also the torx fitting. I'm pretty sure the torx fitting is screwed up and won't work anymore becasue it just rotates and pushes itself out of the bolt when I tried again. I'm probably going to take it back tomorrow to hopefully get an exchange. I tried using a channel wrench to get it loose, but it still didn't budge. Any advice on otehr ways of getting it off?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with any advise you have. Pretty crappy feeling knowing I wasted about 3 hours of perfect riding weather, and I didn't even finish the install.

EDIT: I searched already and read through all the posts. The only tips I could find about the free spinning bolt for the tailight is to take the fender bolts off, which I tried and failed at.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:53 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn sorry to hear that bro. seriously, that blows. The bolts on the fender bracket, are a pain in the ***, and i used a T45 to get them out. I think the manual calls out T40 or something but either way I feel your pain. Took a lot for me to get that crap off. Not sure what else you can try, but they probably had some good loctite in there to hold it, try to heat it up, just dont get too close to the paint with hair dryer.

For the tri-bar, did you use a socket or just an open end wrench? i used the open end wrech and was able to get it off with some force, but if its spinning now,gonna have to wedge something in there to get it off. Might as well wai until you can get the fender screws off, remove the fender, and will be easier to to get the old light bracket it off now.

This weekend I will be in Danbury all weekend, otherwise I would say meet up to try to get it accomplished asap.