Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to plug tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Tube it and ride on....All of you guys that throw away good tires because of a nail puncture, please mail them to me. I will gladly wear them out.
So you suggest "tubing" a tubless tire? Please PM me your mailing adress and I will send you my puntured tires and you will save me my tire disposal fees

Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Tube it and ride on....All of you guys that throw away good tires because of a nail puncture, please mail them to me. I will gladly wear them out.
That's a decent option, but....A tubed tire feels way different than a tubeless. My spoked wheels are (well, were) sealed. I'm unclear about exactly how no air ended up in my front tire, but suffice it to say that there was none there. When the carcass was pulled off the wheel, there was a fine black dust in the bottom of the tire. Did the Dyna Beads bead-blast the sealant off? Did the sealant just fail? Did I run over something that pierced the tire and let the air out, and then the friction of the tire against the wheel ground off the sealant? Don't know, and everyone's pointing the finger at someone else.

Do know that after I had the wheel checked for roundness and true, we put a rim strip and a tube on it, then put on a new tire. It just doesn't feel the same as a tubeless....It's like there's a slight hesitation as the tire moves on the tube.

Forged wheels are in my future I think, which sucks because I really like the look of the spokes.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 AM
twisted125
Road Master

I pierced my 200 rear with an industrial staple. It was leaking slowly, but enough to notice. Not exactly sure how long it was in there before it was noticed. An old timer at the dealership pointed it out to me. I got it home and threw a plug in. Only put a hundred miles on it or so before it was replaced. Mine was in the middle of a tread. I felt "ok" on the plug for a bit but slowed my roll just in case. Plug = temporary.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
mstakern
Tourer

Never a good idea.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace it if it were mine.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't skimp on tires and brakes.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Big Fig
Advanced

I'd have to go with replacement. Just not worth the worry

Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have plugged my tires before without a problem. You just don't want to use a plug or patch if it is on the side wall.
If the tire was 2/3 worn out I would replace the tire, but not a fairly new one.
Tom

Old 09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I was a mechanic for years. Plugged and patched many tires for 4 wheeled vehicles, never one problem. Buttttt, if a tire on a 4 wheeled vehicle fails, you have 3 others. Not so on a bike. Bottomline, its your life, so go for it anyway you see fit. I will not run a plugged tire on my bike any further than to get it home or to a tire shop. Cheap insurance if you ask me

Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
That's a decent option, but....A tubed tire feels way different than a tubeless. .
On Harleys, they are the same tire. How do you "feel" any difference between when thre is a tube in there or not? I've never noticed a difference. I have a tube in the front and no tube in the rear with my current set up, compared to tubes on each end the way it came stock. Feels the same to me.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 09-14-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Safe to plug tire?