Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom Or Rocker Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 02:56 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
I own a Custom and rented a '09 Rocker on vacation in Maui last year. put 1400 miles on it in two weeks on the twisty, incredible roads there.

Appearance: I really like them both. the Rocker has the "custom" chopper look without the custom price. beautful bike to look at from any angle(except for that silly gap behind the driver's seat on the C model). The Custom has the chopped look of the 60's and 70's modified Harley's(raked front end, "couch" style seating, ape handlebars, sissy bar, bob-tail fender, etc). Very Easy-Riderish. that look really does it for me.

Handling: the Custom gets the edge in my opinion. the Rocker sits lower and scrapes the foot peg feelers very easily-not much lean angle at all. The Custom with the 21" front wheel, has it's pegs and controls up higher in the forward position and affords more lean. Turn-in on the Custom is very easy, quick and precise(for a cruiser), compared to the long front end of the Rocker that I really had to work and required an earlier start to the turn-in, especially on S curves and switchbacks

Comfort: not even a close race here: the Custom runs away with it. I have sit on a lot of bikes, and the Custom has, by far, the most comfortable OEM seat I have ever experienced, by a big margin. Wide and very cushioned. slightly reclined position along with the built-in lower back support is great as well. the Rocker really got my shoulders and back very tired after a couple of hours on a given day. sore muscles the entire time I was there was the norm. If you don't have strong back muscles to sit upright in the saddle for long periods of time, you will feel like you are hanging on by the handlebars, especially at high speeds.

I loved the Rocker the entire time I had it, and will be renting it again in January. but a bike to live with and do everything really well, it's the Custom for me.
Derned good post....Good writing is hard to come by these days. That was derned good writing...I was literally grabbing my Amex card and running for the door to get me a new Custom Couch cruiser when I realized I already own a bike.... LOL!!!

Amen.