Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom Or Rocker Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 05:55 AM
ptw***
Outstanding HDF Member

I like my Rocker but you need to go to your dealer & do some test rides to find out yourself. Search around in the forum & you will get tons of ideas for customization. It's just a matter of $$$...

Old 09-14-2009 | 06:47 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

I just dont get all the Rocker Hay-Tred....

I must have missed that block of instruction.

PTW that solo bag is badass looking on your bike Mang!!

Old 09-14-2009 | 07:00 AM
DevilDogg
Tourer

I have a rocker and I'd have to say if I could go back and do it all again, I'd just buy a softail. With all the money I've already sunk in mine and the changes I plan to make in the future, I could have just bought a regular softail and ended up with the same results for less overall money.

Old 09-14-2009 | 07:59 AM
Wallaby
Club Member

If it comes to $$$, go with an FXSTC (it's around 4 grand less than a FXCWC). I like the Rocker as I like the chassis geometry, 240 rear with 37.5 degree rake, way cool, but I would have to ditch the stock rear fender/seat arrangement, just not to my taste is all. If it were me, I would consider the cost of what you want to do after purchase, and then re-evaluate what works for you nad your wallet.

Old 09-14-2009 | 08:24 AM
scottj18
Novice

I did do it all over again... I was money ahead to sell the '09 I bought in June and buy a new Rocker. The 240/250 rear tire conversion is a pricey mod on a Softail, with the Rocker, HD has done it for you. For me that was the tipping point. A Softail Custom and a Rocker are totally different bikes. I would think the Rocker would appeal more to the custom bike buyer (Big Dog, etc). And, by the time you get the Rocker looking right you've got that kind of money in it.

Last edited by scottj18; 09-14-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: puncuation
Old 09-14-2009 | 09:24 AM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

I'd go for the Softail Custom only because I think it looks more old school...I'd also look at the Night Train (unless you want it brand new). Can't go wrong with either one...I agree that the Rocker C takes more $$$ to get it right.

Old 09-14-2009 | 09:53 AM
AK47
Road Captain

FXSTC for sure! I really dig some of those rockers on this thread too.

Old 09-14-2009 | 10:27 AM
twisted125
Road Master

Custom - dont really care for the rockers styling, I like the timeless softail look IMO

Old 09-14-2009 | 11:06 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

I own a Custom and rented a '09 Rocker on vacation in Maui last year. put 1400 miles on it in two weeks on the twisty, incredible roads there.

Appearance: I really like them both. the Rocker has the "custom" chopper look without the custom price. beautful bike to look at from any angle(except for that silly gap behind the driver's seat on the C model). The Custom has the chopped look of the 60's and 70's modified Harley's(raked front end, "couch" style seating, ape handlebars, sissy bar, bob-tail fender, etc). Very Easy-Riderish. that look really does it for me.

Handling: the Custom gets the edge in my opinion. the Rocker sits lower and scrapes the foot peg feelers very easily-not much lean angle at all. The Custom with the 21" front wheel, has it's pegs and controls up higher in the forward position and affords more lean. Turn-in on the Custom is very easy, quick and precise(for a cruiser), compared to the long front end of the Rocker that I really had to work and required an earlier start to the turn-in, especially on S curves and switchbacks

Comfort: not even a close race here: the Custom runs away with it. I have sit on a lot of bikes, and the Custom has, by far, the most comfortable OEM seat I have ever experienced, by a big margin. Wide and very cushioned. slightly reclined position along with the built-in lower back support is great as well. the Rocker really got my shoulders and back very tired after a couple of hours on a given day. sore muscles the entire time I was there was the norm. If you don't have strong back muscles to sit upright in the saddle for long periods of time, you will feel like you are hanging on by the handlebars, especially at high speeds.

I loved the Rocker the entire time I had it, and will be renting it again in January. but a bike to live with and do everything really well, it's the Custom for me.

Last edited by Z06_Pilot; 09-14-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2009 | 02:10 PM
Bikenator
Club Member

This is what my '07 FXSTC looked like loaded for the 3300 mile trip we just returned from.
The bike has an H-D detachable windshield, H-D detachable saddlebags, H-D large nylon back-pack with round pack on top (don't know what else to call it), H-D bike cover for FX models (that's what strapped under the windshield.) It all worked great and it all comes off for local travel when not needed. The Softail Custom has the most comfortable seat of any bike I've ever owned...great for the long-haul and local!
Good luck doing all that with a Rocker!

Last edited by Bikenator; 12-28-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Or Rocker Custom?