Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these guys f'n nuts or what??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:15 PM
DStonestreet
|
Intermediate
Default Are these guys f'n nuts or what??

Stopped by a small indie shop today and thought I'd give these guys a try. Told them I had bought a set of 18" apes and thought maybe they had some cables in stock since everything they seem to have has apehangers on it. They told me no of course "BUT" they could order some for me.. (so could I) and to install them would take about ten hours and would be between 400 to 600 bucks.... Am I crazy or is that a lot of dough?? Anyways just rantin' thanks for tuning in....

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:25 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser

Install new bars, cables, and hide electrical takes a LOT of time...give it a shot!

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:34 PM
DStonestreet
|
Intermediate

I'm sure it does but man "10" hours.....

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:36 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser

Yeah, but 4 of those 10 are spent drinking beer and checking out your bike!

Haha, just kidding. Depending on the setup, I would think 6-7 is fair. Going that high, harness will have to be extended. Might have to pull cables through one wire at a time.

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:42 PM
KSGG
Cruiser

Dealer swapped my bars w/ no cables. 2 hrs labor Ran about $225, including the $70 bars.

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:45 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Thats madness...

Let us walk you through the install. Bunch of here have done it ourselves. Its not hard and any issues that come up you will be able to post here and get an instant response and assistance.

Simple hand tools.

Bout 6-8 hours in your own garage...No scratches. No weird chit.

Lets get er' done!!

Old 09-09-2009 | 05:47 PM
DStonestreet
|
Intermediate

Hell yeah Chaz...I have found the plug in style wires so there's no soldering of anything electrical.. That should help out on cutting down the labor time...

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:05 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by DStonestreet
Hell yeah Chaz...I have found the plug in style wires so there's no soldering of anything electrical.. That should help out on cutting down the labor time...
Its straight cake Bro.

This crew of Ape hanging Yahoos could literally guide you threw it step by step....

Save yer' coin for something cooler than the Indy's truck payment.

I have done two bar swaps in the past two months. I aint ever done one before. I grabbed my trusty service manual then found a thread here...Looked for any potential issues I may have and went after it!!

Pure Cake. Plus if yer' bike gets scratched you wont be as mad. Your chrome bits wont be abused and nobodys gonna wipe your bike with an old rag and swirl it up in the name of working clean!!!

We are here to assist you Bro....Cuz' some of us aint got chit better to do!! Errrr Like me right now. Stuck at work. Bored.

Now get out in the garage and make yer' bike look like this!!

No better yet order the parts first!!

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:06 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

First time with the plug ins 6 hours is about right.Less if you can get your tank back far enough to get at the plugs.Hint, run it way down on gas in case you have to take the tank off.A simple hand pump to get gas out is real handy and virtually mess free.Don't let the wiring throw you.You're only taking one side of each connection apart,no need to mark anything just pay attention and have you're favorite beverage on hand.G.

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:09 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser

These guys sound like they'll guide you through anything! I had the dealer do mine because it was in the shop getting fixed up after hit and run...insurance paid for it...the OTHER guys insurance!

Quick Reply: Are these guys f'n nuts or what??